Chapter 3

Arabella

The alarm from my cell phone buzzing woke me the next morning. Sitting up in my bed, looking around, I felt like I was in a dream at first. Being back in Daphne was a really strange feeling this morning. Checking the time on my phone I saw I had a text from Javi "Have a great first day amour :)". Laying it back down on my nightstand I got up and made my way to my bathroom. Even though I had showered last night I decided to shower again since sweating from the nightmare last night and the almost suffocating humidity of Alabama. After showering and drying my hair I studied the girl looking back at me. The Arabella that had left Daphne looked nothing like the one that had returned.

When I had left Daphne I was awkward, shy and insecure, my 5' 5" frame had been chubby, skin full of acne, bad haircut, oversized glasses, braces and no sense of style. Once arriving in Paris I told my mom I wanted to change. This was an opportunity to reinvent myself and become someone new because no one knew me there. After hearing what I had to say she agreed to let me make the changes I wanted. I had two months before school started I became more healthy which caused me to lose the weight. I saw a dermatologist which cleared my acne, traded my glasses for contacts, got extensions until my hair grew out and went on a shopping spree for a new wardrobe. By the time school started I was the new and improved Arabella, the one standing in the mirror now.

I was the perfect mix of my parents. I had long chocolate brown hair, medium toned skin, bright green eyes and high cheekbones. This version of me was confident and sure of herself. I was still a little shy at first, but got over it a lot quicker now. Pushing the memory of the old me from my mind I started doing my makeup which mostly just consisted of mascara. I left my hair down just curling the ends so it wouldn't be so straight. Satisfied with my appearance I walked to my closet and pulled my outfit for the day out. I had chosen a red eyelet lace sundress with cap sleeves, white wedges and of course my teardrop rose quartz necklace. My finishing touch was my diamond stud earrings. Looking in the full length mirror I felt ready to conquer Daphne High School. Grabbing my backpack and cell phone I headed downstairs.

The smell of coffee and egg omelets filled the kitchen. My dad is sitting at the table reading the newspaper just like old times. He had his normal khaki pants with a black dress shirt on, his hair slicked back, the dark circles don't seem as bad today. I walk over to him, hugging his shoulders and giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Buongiorno!" I say to him.

"Good morning to you too la mia bellezza" he says with a chuckle. "How did you sleep?"

Now that's a loaded question, hiding my face in the fridge looking for juice I say "Fine and you?" I can feel my eyes change, no light magical can lie without their eyes changing to pure silver for just an instant. Only other magicals or supernatural creation can see it. Once I feel like they've had enough time to go back to normal I take a seat at the table and eat breakfast.

Dad looks at me with a questioning look "So, no nightmares then?"

Hells bells, he already knows, Evan or Makayla must have told him. I look him straight in the eye "Why are you asking that? You clearly already know the answer and I don't want to try and lie to you."

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asks.

"Because I'll be 16 in two months, it's just a nightmare, I don't need to run to my daddy every time something goes bump in the night. I'm fine, I promise. You worry too much." I say with a smile.

"I have to worry twice as much, once for myself and once for your mother, but I know you can take care of yourself but you'll always be la mia bellezza" he says as he gets up from the table, taking his plate to the sink. Finishing up I take my plate to the sink as well.