Two

"Miss. Fern?" A soft voice called. I grunted in response. "Miss. Fern!" My eyes fluttered open.

"Where is Margaret?" I asked sitting up. My back ached from the sudden movement. I cringed quietly. "I'm sorry for disobeying you." I started to get up, but a hand held me down.

"You're weak." The same soft voice said. I laid back in the bed. The bed. Oh how wonderful it felt to be in something soft. I looked beside me to see the same woman I had seen in the woods.

"Who are you?" I asked quietly, too tired to argue.

"My name is Miss. Peregrine. Delightful to meet you! I have been expecting you."

"Expecting me? I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand."

"I'll explain everything later, dear, but please, try getting some rest. You hit your head pretty hard."

"Miss, what happened to my friends?"

"Miss. Fern, I must insist you get some rest."

"Might you stay with me? I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep if I'm alone." Miss. Peregrine smiled as she brushed the back of her hand across my face.

"Of course, Miss. Fern. I will be sitting in this chair the whole time." I smiled as I rolled over on my side. I felt my eyes close as I brought my legs up to my chest.

✾✾✾✾

The next time I woke up, I sat up. Miss. Peregrine was sitting in the chair she had been when I fell asleep, her eyes closed. She was sleeping. I got out of the bed and slowly walked out of the room afraid I'd wake her. I walked down a hallway. There were rooms after rooms, each filled with a bed, a large wardrobe and a dresser. Each of them had a window. And each of them had a their own bathroom. I found the staircase and carefully walked down them. The stairs creaked quietly. As I got downstairs, I heard a rattling come from the kitchen. I walked in to see three women. They stopped cooking and looked over at me. I slowly backed away.

"I'm sorry! I'm just trying...to get familiar with where I am!"

"It's quite alright, dear! It's so nice to see a child in here for once!" One of the women said. She was wearing a sky-blue dress with an apron over top.

"She must've been the one Miss. Peregrine has been dreaming about! Oh! I'm so glad she finally found you!" Another one said. This was was wearing a pink dress. She came over and kissed my cheek like a grandmother would during holiday visits.

"Am I the only one here?" I asked confused. "Doesn't she have more children? There's so many rooms!"

"All of which will soon be filled!" The last one said. This one was wearing a yellow dress. "You're the first peculiar child of hers!"

"Miss. Fern!" A voice shouted from the stairs.

"Dinner will be ready shortly. She has an excellent one planned for your arrival."

"Miss. Fern!"

"You best be on your way before she has a stroke." I was pushed out of the kitchen and into Miss. Peregrine's arms. I felt the older woman almost sigh in relief as she wrapped her arms around me.