Eight

Credits to rightful owners! Happy reading.

The next day, Miss. Peregrine called us into the living room. Abe was standing beside her with a suitcase.

"Children," she said. "Abe will be leaving us today."

"Are you going to come back?" Claire asked, clearly upset.

"I don't know." Abe said.

"Children," Miss. Peregrine said. "We are going to wish him well on his new adventure. We encourage bravery."

"It's not bravery." Enoch said. "It's stupidity."

"Enoch, you're just jealous." Millard said.

"Jealous of what? Getting myself blown up?" Enoch asked.

"Shut it!" I yelled. "Abe is leaving! Let's say goodbye and then you can go about arguing."

"Please do it elsewhere, too. My head hurts from all the bickering." Horace said. We all said our goodbyes to Abe. Emma was last. Miss. Peregrine and I left so they could be alone.

"Would you help me with supper, Mary?" Miss. Peregrine asked. I nodded and followed her to the kitchen. "Are you alright?" She asked.

"Fine. How are you doing?" I asked as I went into the kitchen fridge and got our large bowl of salad.

"Fine as well." She smiled as she put the chicken into the oven. "Abe leaving isn't bothering you?"

"I wasn't that close to him to begin with."

"Ah. That's right, you're close with Victor. How is he?"

"He's good!" I smiled. "I know he's going to miss Abe a lot."

"This might be good for us." She said.

"Miss. Peregrine!" Fiona shouted. "Come quickly!" Miss. Peregrine stopped what she was doing and ran out of the kitchen. I followed. Enoch and Hugh were having a go at each other.Hugh's bees were covering Enoch. I saw Enoch reach up and punch Hugh.

"Enoch!" I yelled running over.

"Mary! Don't get any closer!" Emma yelled as Enoch went to punch Hugh again, but hit me instead. Seriously?

"Everyone in the living room, now!" Miss. Peregrine called. "Hugh, control your bees! They're everywhere." He apologized quickly and sucked his bees back in. Miss. Peregrine walked up to me.

"I'm fine, Miss. P." I said more annoyed with the fact that I was bleeding, than the fact that I actually got punched. "It's just a little bit of blood. I'm going to go wash up." I ran up the stairs and heard Enoch and Hugh yelling at each other about Abe. I walked into my bathroom and washed my face, making sure nothing was broken. When I was satisfied, I ran back down the stairs.

"Abe is gone!" Hugh yelled rather loudly. I could hear the bees buzzing around the room as I walked in. If he got too upset, he had no control over them.

"Is that what this is about?" I asked. Everyone looked up at me. "We're supposed to be a family. Abe left because he felt brave enough to do so. He went to join the American Army! We should be proud of him. Yes, we lost a brother, but he promised to write and call. And if he can, he's going to come visit." No one knew what to say. "Abe isn't foolish. He knew what he was getting into. Now, if you all could stop bickering that would be awesome. Start acting like the family, Miss. Peregrine raised us to be. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."