Chapter One

A/N - hey! I hope you guys enjoy this Instagram original.
Spoiler: I never finished this properly and left the ending on a huge cliff hanger. I'm sorry if you don't like them, I got stuck on what to write.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy :)

- Naomi x

----
Charlotte pushed the stack of books in front of her away, they sprawled over the oak table as girls filled in and out of the library. "I'm bored." She said, picking at her finger nails. Her best friend glanced up for a brief second, "and I'm not failing this test again." Renée snapped. Charlotte rolled her eyes, pushed her chair back and stood up. Renée stared up at her friend. "Where are you going?" Charlotte walked across the wooden floor of the library and stared out of the window, looking across the school grounds. She imagined what life would be like beyond their tall fences, if she was normal and not a spy. If her mum hadn't died, if the story wasn't classified. "Somewhere." Charlotte whispered, before turning to face her friend. "Anywhere as to be better than here." She shrugged. Renée snapped the book she was reading shut, "we are not leaving the grounds." Charlotte laughed. "I didn't say we were." She grabbed her backpack, slung it over one shoulder. "But, you did." Renée pushed against the heavy oak doors of the library and they walked out into a sea of girls who were trained just like them. "How would you do it?" Charlotte and Renée pushed against the currant until they stood at the base of the stairs. Charlotte had one hand on the banister as she stared at her best friend, "nobody would even notice." She started towards their dorm room. "Is this about your mum again?" Renée asked because she was both good at being a friend and a spy. Charlotte glared at her, "what?" Renée asked as they reached their room. "I don't trust him." Charlotte said, as she dropped to her bed. "Who?" Renée asked, but Charlotte didn't get a chance to answer. Red lights swirled around them as a harsh electronic voice blared, "CODE RED CODE RED." Charlotte covered her ears and Renée yelled, "who?!" over the sound of the sirens. "Not now!" Charlotte snapped, as they started back down the stairs and into the main foyer below. "What's happening?" Charlotte yelled, but the year 7's just ran past screaming. "Girls!" Miss Evans, their Headmistress yelled. "What's happening, miss?" Renée asked, but a sick feeling had already settled in Charlotte's stomach. She could've sworn she'd seen someone walking through the sea of girls, someone who definitely didn't belong there. "There's been a security breech." Miss Evans told Renée. But Charlotte had already slipped away into the shadows, following the boy.

"Hey!" Charlotte snapped, grabbing the boys arm. "What are you doing here?!" The boy spun around to face her. "I'm sorry?" He grinned, staring at her with his blue eyes. "Oh, I thought you was someone else." Charlotte took a step backwards in the empty corridor, that's when she felt a hand touch her shoulder from behind. But did she panic? No way, she did what she was trained to do and grabbed the offending hand, shifted her weight and used her attackers momentum to bring him down hard on the floor below. The boy grimaced but he still managed to smile up at her through the eerie glow of the emergency lights that filled the school. She knew those brown eyes anywhere, maybe that's why she found it hard to breathe as the boy propped himself up slightly and smiled at her. "Looking for me?" He said, and she shivered. "Get lost Leo." She snapped, faintly aware the other boy was still stood watching. "Aw, don't be like that." Leo got up and folded his arms. He looked harmless, Charlotte might've thought he was harmless. But she knew too much. "Leave, now!" Charlotte snapped, as if he would listen. Leo stared at her. "Still mad at me? Cute." The boy with the blue eyes stepped forward, "maybe we should go?" Leo ignored him. "I could kill you in your sleep, make it look like an accident." Charlotte said, Leo laughed. "If you don't leave right now I'm going to throttle you!" She lunged forward, but the boy came to stand in between her and Leo, blocking her path. "I'm sorry, who are you?" Charlotte snapped. "I'm Charlie, and you'd rather have me in your corner, I'll have you know." He said, looking her up and down. "Who the hell do you think you are?" But Charlie didn't answer her, he just started down the corridor, calling behind him. "Leo, let's go." Leo lingered for just a minute, as if he had something else to say. "Leo!" Charlie snapped, forcing him to follow. Charlotte watched as the disappeared into one of the secret passageways, then she heard footsteps behind her. "What are you doing down here?" Renée asked, she was followed by half of their friends and then Miss Evans. "I thought I saw someone." Charlotte said. "And, did you?" Miss Evans prompted. Charlotte stared back down the corridor and thought for a second, her voice was barley audible. "No."

It took 4 hours to make sure the school was safe. 4 hours! By 9pm the lights were back on, Miss. Evans was back in her office. Everything was back to normal. Or, as normal as a top secret spy school for teenage girls ever gets. "What's wrong with you?" Renée snapped, bringing Charlotte back from her thoughts. "What?" The only light in their room came from Renée's laptop. "You've been sat starring out there for the last 20 minutes, want to tell me what really happened tonight?" Renée smirked, Charlotte moved away from the window and sank down onto her bed. She shrugged, "you already know what happened." She was clinging to her cover, like any good spy. "For a spy, your a really bad liar." Renée snapped her laptop shut. "You saw something." Charlotte looked at her best friend, and in the dark of their dorm room she felt safe to whisper. "Not something, someone. Or, someone's." She corrected herself. "Who?" Renée prompted. "Him." Charlotte shivered. "I don't follow." Charlotte got up and grabbed Renée's laptop, her hands flew over the keyboard. "What are you doing?" Renée asked, but she didn't answer. She just turned the screen to her best friend. "Them." The CCTV footage showed the two boys scaling their fences, sneaking inside their walls. "Town boys having fun?" Charlotte laughed. "No, their just like us." She moved away from the laptop, back to the window. "Spies?" Charlotte shook her head. "Liars, killers." "Did you hit your head or something?' Renée asked, she sounded concerned but Charlotte just laughed. "You don't get it do you?" She didn't mean to yell, but she couldn't help it. "The one with the brown hair?" Renée looked down at the screen. "He's cute." Charlotte slapped the laptop shut. "He killed my mum."

• • •

I hope you enjoyed!

I n s t a g r a m: pengmendes

- Naomi x