Chapter Six

"It's a stone, Renée." Charlotte said, coming to stand by her best friend who kneeled besides the stone. Leo laughed from besides her but Renée just glared at him. "She might believe you and your lies." Renée snapped, pointing at Charlotte. "But I don't." She brushed aside a couple of leaves that covered the majority of the stone. "Excuse me?" Charlotte snapped back, but her friend ignored her. Leo stood motionless, Charlotte stared at him. "What does she mean?" Leo shook his head and smiled. "It's nothing." But Charlotte didn't believe him, she saw the fear creep into his eyes as he started to back away. She stepped forwards, "Leo what is it?" But he didn't get a chance to say anything because Renée said, "Charlotte, look at this." Charlotte spun around and looked at her friend, she stepped closer to the stone that was completely uncovered now. "It's still just a stone." She said, shrugging. "No, look." Renée said, firmly, the ultimate spy. So Charlotte kneeled down besides her best friend and ran her hand across the rough stone, that was when she felt the words carved into the stone. They was long since faded, but as she looked up at Leo she knew what they said. "2012..died 2012?" She whispered. "It wasn't me." Leo said. "Mum died in 2012." Charlotte rushed to her feet and grabbed Leo by his collar, threw him to the ground in a split second and bent his arm around his back at an impossible angle. "Why is my mum buried here?" Charlotte hissed through gritted teeth. Leo winced from the pain, but still managed to say. "Don't ask me, ask him."

Charlie walked towards her with a subtle confidence, his hands shoved into his pockets, he looked harmless. "Stupid." Charlotte muttered underneath her breathe. "What?" Leo asked. "I'm stupid!" She yelled, not really answering him. Charlie stood starring at her and she couldn't help herself, she lunged towards him. "You liar." She yelled, the shout reverberating through the trees. Charlie laughed at her, he pointed to himself and said. "Spy." Charlotte stared at the boy she had noticed but hadn't truly seen."Why'd you kill her?" She asked, almost choking on the words. "Wouldn't you like to know." Charlie tilted his head, teasing her. Leo glared at him, warning him. Charlie smiled at her, it was sad as if deep down he wanted to tell her but knew he couldn't, maybe never. "I'll tell you the story someday." He said, turning and starting to walk back towards the safe house. "Just as soon as you have clearance." As he walked away he didn't even look back, Charlotte whispered to no one but herself. "He doesn't look like a killer."

That night, Charlotte sat beneath the trees besides her mother's grave. The wind whistled through the trees and there wasn't a cloud in the starry night sky. "I'm sorry." She whispered. "Don't be." She startled at the voice behind her. "I wasn't talking to you." Charlotte snapped, but Leo still came and sat besides her on the forest floor, leaning against a tree. "I'm the one who should be sorry." Leo admitted, after what felt like an eternity. "Why did you lie?" She asked, knowing deep down she shouldn't feel as hurt as she did. "News flash, I'm a spy, it's what we do." Leo said back. "No, I'm a spy. Your just a liar." Charlotte hissed, Leo laughed at her. "Just because my dads an assassin, doesn't mean I have to turn out like him." He said. Charlotte shook her head, "it's in your blood Leo, it's in your blood." Leo laughed, but it wasn't funny. "What about Charlie?" She asked. "He doesn't know his father." Leo shrugged. "How do you know him?" Charlotte had to know. "He idolised my dad, he thought the stuff he did was awesome." Leo shrugged. "He was an outsider, so everything seemed cool." Charlotte glared him. "Wow, normal people think killing each other is cool? Nice to know." Her voice was almost as cold as the wind whipping through the trees. "You know what I mean." Leo shot her a look that could kill. "He doesn't look like a killer." Charlotte whispered the thought that had haunted her for hours. "He's not." Leo said, then shrugged. "Not really, not in cold blood." Charlotte stared at Leo as if he was maybe a little bit crazy. "I trusted him." She whispered. "I was so focused on catching you out and proving that you was a killer. I didn't even notice him, not really." She stared at her hands, as if ashamed at what she was admitting. "I was so focused on you, I barely even noticed him." She glanced up at Leo. "Does that make me a bad spy?" She asked, but Leo just shook his head. "No, it just makes Charlie a better one." It was probably the hardest thing to hear, but it was true. Charlotte sighed, despite everything she leaned her head against Leo's shoulder and shut her eyes. "I'm sorry." Leo whispered, but she was already asleep.

• • •

I hope you enjoyed!

I n s t a g r a m: pengmendes

- Naomi x