Schuyler's Avestas Throbes

The Avestas Throbes is a party a werewolf at the age of seventeen must have. It’s actually a tradition that reached back centuries. The party that will introduce you to the entire Werewolf Society. An acknowledgement of one’s future responsibilities. For me and the other Alpha’s children, this was important, for our pack members and Elders, our “coming-out” is highly important.

There are a lot of things that the celebrant would find about theirselves during the Avestas Throbes. Like for example, what is your dominant power? My brother , Stephan, has this very cool power to manipulate one’s mind. The Modo Caecus. Although, other wolves can also perform this after years of practice, Stephan can perform it without even a single practice in need. I remember him using it the morning of his seventeenth birthday.  Another power is Kevin’s, the  Alienari, a power to shape shift into something else or he can use this to disguise himself as someone else. I haven’t found mine yet, but I hope it will be useful and cool just like theirs.

Usually, during the party, the celebrants would find who their mates are. It doesn’t apply in me of course, I found out my mate was Steven early today. But I’m not telling anyone about that during this party.  

When I got home this afternoon, I saw people going in and out of our house, carrying tables, chairs and vases with white lilies in them. I forgot about it, or I just thought I did. I confronted my brother if he had something to do with it and the trance between us after my question answered me. Yes, he used the Modo Caecus on me! I was too mad at him to even notice I wasn’t able to invite my friends to my own party. But my mom came in the room and told me everyone knows except me.

Hey, forgive me.  Stephan sent through mind link. It’s something we always knew how to do.

Shut Up! I sent back shutting my mind from him, which is a spell called Occludo by the way.

I continued looking at myself through my life size mirror. I look okay, I guess. A black dress that flows down just above my knees, my hair braided at the side. Well I didn’t really care. I’m mad at my brother; I don’t really like the feeling of someone peering in my mind, not to mention, manipulate it. I felt betrayed and trust me, it’s the worst feeling a love one can cause you. So I didn’t give a damn to this sophisticated party.

“Shutting your mind from me won’t stop me from apologizing.” I turned around to see Stephan in a black suite, looking as handsome as ever.

“Get out of my room, Stephan!” I snapped crossing my arms over my chest. The truth is, my anger is starting to melt, knowing he did not do it just for fun and he did not read my mind to see if he was already forgive, because if he did, he’ll find out that Steven, his adversary, is my mate. Otherwise he’ll be cursing none stop.

“Come on, Schuyler… It’s not like I did it for me. This party was supposed to be a surprise.” He defended himself.

I sighed knowing he was right. “Fine, but please, don’t do it again. EVER!” I saw his eyes brighten. Fights or not talking to each other sceneries don’t really last long between us, we usually forgive one another before the hour ends, this was in fact the longest, a new record. It lasted two and a half hours. He walked to me and hugged me tight, spinning me around and letting me go to look at me in the eye.

“You’re beautiful, as always.” He whispered looking at me in the mirror.

“Got my looks from you..” I joked.  It’s funny how we can act like nothing even happened between us.

“My two babies finally made up!” Mom shouted from behind us. Dad then appeared behind her, flashing his smile at us.

“You look dazzling, stunning even, my dear.” Dad applauded. It felt great knowing he canceled many of his appointments just for this day. Well, I found out they weren’t actually in a meeting earlier, they were delivering the last batch of invitation themselves to make sure people would show up. Oh, how I love my family.