Night 5

David grinned broadly. "Thank God for data plans!" he crowed, throwing his arms around Jinni and spinning her around. Then self-control took over again and he stepped back, blushing.

"Sorry. Got a bit carried away. But this is great! We can get the heck out of here, and, and... we'll survive." His voice dropped significantly. They could leave, but there were those who couldn't. Red, Greg, Dick, and whoever had been poisoned last night.

He forced the thoughts aside. They should be grateful any of them could leave at all. He grinned at Jinni again. "Wait here," he said. "Don't eat anything. I've got to tell Denzil the good news." He ran up the stairs, yelling Denzil's name--but this time triumphantly. He stopped at the opened door and looked in. Denzil was standing over the being. "Umm.... am I interrupting something?"

Missy heard David's yelling and got concerned. Plus, the conversation between Finn and Mrs. Jackson was getting uncomfortable, and the scars on his skin had grossed her out. She muttered some excuse about seeing what the problem was and went back upstairs. She found Jinni in the lobby, the girl's eyes wide and staring off into space, and Missy asked, "Where the heck is David?"

Jinni pointed upstairs, and Missy hurried in that direction. She found David standing awkwardly in the door and pushed past him, expecting to see the occupant of the room dead. It was on the floor, though it still seemed to be alive. Missy ignored it and crossed her arms, standing in front of Denzil. "Mrs. Jackson has been looking for you for a while!" she snapped. "What are you doing? She has something important to tell you!"

Alan's foggy mind picked up on the fact that someone was beside him. He felt incredibly ill and weak, and he couldn't remember why. Oddly enough, it was the paper cut that brought back the memories of what had happened. The note, looking for Finn, the poisoned beer...

He heard the words "mysterious one" and his panicked thoughts increased. There was little doubt in his mind who had poisoned him. Weakly, he grabbed at the sleeve of the person beside him, gasping out, "The being--is dangerous. Dangerous..."

With those words, Alan slipped back into the fogginess he'd spent most of the night in.

When Alan spoke, Finn's heart nearly leapt out of his chest. His last words. This was his last words. Finn attempted yelling Alan's name while leaping from his seat. Alan went quiet, and slowly, Finn relaxed. The man was breathing steadily, having fallen asleep. His shoulders shook, remembering his words. 'The being is dangerous. Dangerous...'

Remembering being slammed into the wall and the face beneath that cowl, Finn found it impossible to disagree.

Shakily, he scribbled down, 'I don't know why he looks like me. He could be committing the murderers though." Finn bit his lip, remembering everything about the being. 'He has the strength and skill."

For some reason, Finn really hoped that of all people, the being was not the murderer.

It's consciousness quickly returned. Once a hazy cloud, then distinct pictures of Missy in front of him and others standing around. Not that it cared about the others. It didn't like being shaken.

The being hooked its leg around Denzil's and forced the man to fall before getting to its feet and snatching Missy. It put her in a hold and slid a small knife from its sleeve.

"Now let's talk peacefully, Denzil. I'm not keen on taking naps."

Mrs Jackson patted Finn on the arm. "You're worried that if your double turns out to be the murderer, people will think the worst of you. Now that I know how to tell the difference, I'll make sure the others know that there are two of you". She sighed and looked towards the door. "I wonder what's keeping Comrade Denzil. I'd best go and check on him. Will you be alright here?"

Finn nodded.

Mrs Jackson hated the thought of leaving both of them in their vulnerable state but she had no choice. Instinct told her that Denzil was in trouble so she had to help. She took a few moments to gather some useful items, then left the wine cellar and headed upstairs.