Chapter Six

The next morning, the group was sat at their camp eating their breakfast and Maggie and I were watching from the porch. Maggie was afraid of Glenn telling the camp about what was in the barn and that would mean Hershel being mad at her. She always hated it when Hershel was mad and disappointed with her.

They were all eating in silence and I touched Maggie's arm. "He wants to tell them Maggie. It's not fair to ask him to keep this to himself. He's travelling with these people. They are his group. You can't expect him to keep it quiet." I told her quietly not chancing Hershel or Beth overhearing.

I watched on as Glenn said something to the group and all their heads shot up in shock and panic. Maggie sighed next to me and I saw Glenn look over at us and I nodded showing him my support but I could see Maggie glaring at him from the corner of my eye and rolled my eyes. Would she ever let this go?

She stood up and began marching towards the barn. He was pissed and that was obvious but he would only make this situation worse. "We've been thinking of going to Fort Benning for weeks now. We can get there by nightfall if we go now." He said staring at the group. Maggie and I ran to join them as Shane was yelling.

He started testing the barn and the locks, he hit the lock trying to break it but it wouldn't budge, he jumped back when the groans of Walkers started to get louder. Served him right for getting too close in the beginning.

"I'm just going to get some eggs from the chickens." Maggie told me and I nodded as I continued to watch Shane go on a rampage of not being safe with these things no far from where they were sleeping, to some extent I agreed with him but it wasn't his choice, it was Hershel's farm and if he wanted to Walkers in his barn then it was his choice no one elses.

I walk towards the picnic bench farm is sat at and join him. "You okay?" I asked him quietly. 

"I'm just thinking about what we used to do before all this. How normal my life is." He explained.

"Can you tell me a little about it?" I asked inquisitvely.

"We would always do things together, me and my Mom. We would cook, we would draw, we would go on day outings together.  We were like best friends. Dad tried to do things with is but was always called into work. Sometimes we even told them to deal wothout him because he wanted to spend some time with me." He explained with a small.smile brewing on his face.

"That sounds amazing." I smiled. "I wish I had a life like that."

"Why didn't you?" He asked questionably.

"That's a story for another time... I'm just gonna do something.  I'll see you later yeah?" He nodded and I headed towards the waterfall. I sat at the top away from the water and pulled out my notebook from under a rock.

It was the notebook that I write letters in, letters to my little girl. I always had ever since she was a baby and my plan as to let her read them when she turned 18.

'Dear Olivia,
It's been so long and I'm sorry, It's just been so busy here. I've been through so much and I can only guess that you have too. This world is so cruel and I can only hope that you're okay.

You're my pride and joy, I would do anything to see you again my little cherub.

You're popping blue eyes and you're dimples. Mommy misses you.

Love you lots cherub,
Until I see you again.

Mommy.'

I put the notebook back under the rock and was heading back when I saw Shane arguing with Dale. It looked pretty heated.  All I saw was Shane stomp away with a police bag in his hands. It looked like all the weapons Rick and his group brought with them.

I headed towards Dale and smiled as I got close. "Are you okay?" I asked him leaving against the tree.

"I'm fine. Just a little disagreement between me and Shane." He said.

"Disagreement about what?" I asked. 

"The right thing to do about the barn full of walkers." He explained. 

"Well we better head on back then. See what type of commotion he's made." I sighed and we began our trail back to the farm, most importantly the barn. 

By the time Dale and I reach the farm and more specifically the barn where dead Walkers were sprawled out infront of the barn doors. We were just in time to see the last one exit the barn and shire away from the sunlight as if she hadn't seen the light before. I paled as I saw that Sophia was the last Walker to come out. She was wearing the same shoes and the blue rainbow shirt she wore when she went missing. I had seen a picture from Carl of what she looked like incase I spotted her and the only difference was she was pale and snarling.

I watched in horror as Carol ran forwards towards her daighter desperately screaming her name. Daryl pulls her back into his arms and she collapses and sobs in his arms. I look around and no one raises their weapons to shot not even Shane, he was in a stunned silence and watched in remorse. My eyes flickered towards the first sight of movemet as Rick moves forward and raises his gun pointing it at her head. I could see him hestiate before shooting her in the head and we all watched as she dropped to the floor. Rick had just done what no one else was able to do, but it was the only way to resolve the problem no matter how much we didn't want it to happen.

Seeing these events unfold in front of me, it made me think of Olivia and what if someone else had to do this to my daughter because she was a zombie. This knocked me sick with the thought. No one really knew what to do, we were all in shock of what happened and there wasn't much left that could have been done to save her. My condolenses were with Carol and those that travelled with her, I felt remorse but I didn't know her, how can you miss someone you never knew?