Chapter 3

Adonia looked up at her figure standing a few feet in front of her. The screen from the cell phone lit up as it rang, illuminating the face of the person.

“That kid can get very annoying. With your temper, I’m surprised you haven’t beaten the crap out of him. Oh, wait. You did just a little while ago. I sure hope he’s okay.”

Adonia got up from her knees and backed away, slowly. Has he been watching me this whole time? “What the hell…”

“Am I doing here?” He gave a quick, smug laugh as he flipped the cell phone in his hand, playing with it.

His arrogant smile put a bad taste in her mouth. He knew she hated it when he finished her sentences, as he did so often.

“I’m simply doing what I’ve always done. Tracking you. You know, you’re starting to get very predictable, but you letting… Dylan, is it? Well, you letting him tag along, it threw me off. What are you planning on doing with him?”

Adonia stayed silent, her eyes never leaving his. If he was anything, one of thing was quick. He could attack her at any moment and she had to be ready.

“No answer, huh? No matter, you know I like to be kept on my toes, but can I tell you my guess?” He started to slowly circle around Adonia and she didn’t move. Only her eyes would, to follow him when he was back in her vision.

“I think you like him.” Adonia balled her hands into fists and clenched her teeth as hard as she could.

Once he was behind her, she turned around and threw up her leg up to kick him. He swiftly caught her foot and twisted causing her to crumple on the floor in agony. She pulled her foot away and tucked it under her other leg, glaring up at him.

“I do not like him!” She spat out. “I’m trying to protect him from you. God only knows what you’d do to him if I left him by himself.”

“And since when do you care?” He started circling around her again. “I thought you didn’t care about anyone, but yourself. Did I soften you up that much?”

“You know you’re a pretty sucky tracker, Marcus.” This caused him to stop in his tracks and look down at her.

“How so?”

“You rather toy with me then actually kill me right now. I know you won’t, you’re too curious. You want to know about my safe house and where it is, and you want to know about Dylan.” Marcus’ haughty smile disappeared. Gotcha.

“You want to know if I really do like him.” Adonia stood up, feeling superior to Marcus, for once.

He turned his body in her direction and Adonia could see the wheels in head turning, but couldn’t read his facial expression. All of sudden, the smirk returned to his face as he stepped towards her.

She prepped her body and mentally prepared herself to attack again. One step closer and he’s done. Just do it… Punch him, kick him… Anything!

But her body didn’t move, she allowed him to come closer and closer until he was just a few feet in front of her.

Her head wanted her to fight. It wanted Adonia to cause him pain, the way he had caused her pain. It wanted to see him dead in the dirt and finally be rid of him.

But her heart couldn’t allow her to lay a finger on him. If she did, she would surely break down. How could she think that way about someone? How could she think that way about the man she once loved? The man she still loved, unfortunately.

Marcus stood in front of her and slowly raised a hand to push some loose hair behind Adonia’s ear. She softened her body and let her hands fall to her sides as she gazed up at him.