Chapter 11

Rex paced around the room as his eyes were glued on the carpet. He ran his hands through his hair countless times. He suddenly stopped walking and was about to say something until he thought against it and closed his mouth, pacing around the room again.

I sat quietly, observing his every nervous move. Obviously, Shannon and I were nervous as well, but Rex looked too tensed. Shannon sat beside me on the bed as her eyes were almost locked on Rex's hand that was wrapped in gauze. She hadn't asked him what had happened to his hand as we had a more serious matter to worry about.

There were two double beds just like he had mentioned, and I was still hanging on the timid idea of being in the same room with a guy who was not Jack. But knowing that it was just Rex, who I could rely on, and plus Shannon was with us too, I relaxed.

"Okay." He stopped pacing and turned to look at us tiredly. "You ladies are saying that Mark is Shannon's and Andrea's father." He looked confused and I could just tell from his face that it was going to be a long night. "And where is she?"

I stopped breathing and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Shannon give me a strange look. "Yeah, where is she, Lucy?" she asked.

Closing my eyes, I'd forgotten that they didn't know where she was. I said, "Somewhere." When I opened my eyes, I saw both of them giving me the most bizarre look ever.

"Somewhere? What the heck is that supposed to mean?" Shannon asked.

I frowned. "Literally somewhere. The police haven't found her body and I--"

"Hold it right there. When did the police came into the picture?" Rex asked anxiously.

My jaw dropped at my stupidity. Of course, he didn't know everything yet, Lucy. He didn't know what happened that night that changed my life. In fact, many incidents that I had been through flipped my life upside down.

"I thought you knew," I spoke timidly.

And I had totally forgotten that Shannon and Rex didn’t know what had happened that tragic night. It completely slipped out of my mind. But then, Rex had his cousin, who knew a little bit of the messy incident when she was driving on the road that night, near where the tragic event had taken place.

"Well I don’t. All I ever knew was who Jack is to you, where he is right now, you've told me about Chad, you two are married to that devil, what had happened to Shannon two months ago, and I think that is it. How did Jack end up in heaven? How did your cousin disappear? What is it that you're hiding from me? I want to know everything!" His voice kept rising every second.

I stared at my lap. He sounded so angry yet desperate for answers. I knew he was only trying to protect us, but they were things that I just wanted buried deep in the ground and never looked back at. Clearing my throat nervously, I looked at the girl sitting silently beside me. I heavily doubted that she was breathing. She wanted to say something, but hesitantly decided to keep her mouth shut.

"Chad threatened us," I spoke faintly, thinking that I should tell him what had happened that night.

"What? I didn't hear you," he said, lowering his voice as he sensed that the topic of discussion was going to break me emotionally.

I gathered some oxygen and said clearly, "Chad threatened us." I met his gaze and saw that he deeply frowned at me with concern filled in his eyes.

"How and what do you mean by us?"

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before starting. "He threatened Jack, Andry, and me, saying that he had some of our colleagues in captive and he was going to kill them if the three of us didn't arrive in the next hour at the address he'd given us. We hurried there, because we knew he was dead serious after everything that had happened involving him. When we got there, we were just in time to hear gun shots go out." I stopped there because I couldn't have the energy to keep myself together to finish that horrifying night of my life. My throat began quivering as tears were at the edge of my eyelids.