3 |Help

Jin's Point Of View
Ah, I can't believe I lost 100,000 won, to Ji Hwan! I guess Appa will just give me more. But, 2nd last? Appa will never forgive me! Let's just hope I did well in the paper, or I can do some extra credit work.
I sit down at my seat in Science class, grumbling at my chair too. Things don't get much better, do they? Ah, look. Ji Hwan's too busy being congratulated to sit down at her seat. Oh right! She'll be getting another 20,000 won from the school for being first place. Ah, who cares? She probably is gonna spend it all on shoes and bags, whatever girls spend it on.
"Okay, class. Take out your books. We are having a revision before we do an individual quiz. However, discussions will be allowed during the quiz so that you can help one another, "Mr Jung said.
Pft, I won't need any help. I'll ace that test all on my own. I'm a natural.
Mr. Jung went through all the topics that we learnt since the beginning of the year. I basically dozed off the whole time. I already knew all this, why should I listen? I heard Mr. Jung ask a question somewhere halfway through the revision and Ji Hwan answered it. Ah, whatever. Ji Hwan just trying to act smart. What time is it? I'm hungry. I want food. Food is better than all these idiots.
"Okay, class. I will now distribute the tests. There is no time limit. However, the faster you finish, the earlier you can go for break. You can also ask us questions if you have any,"
I received the test paper and quickly did the questions. In the middle of the paper, I was stuck at this question. I swear I had learnt it before! Shamefully, I put up my hand to ask a question.
"Yes, Mr. Kim?
"Mr. Jung, how do you answer this question?"
Mr. Jung gave me a disapproving look. "Mr. Kim, out of all people, I expected you to know. Ms. Park just answered this question less than 10 minutes ago. Ms. Park, would you be willing to explain the question to Mr. Kim again? Would he be disturbing you?"
Ji Hwan shook her head. "It would be my pleasure, Mr. Jung. I am finished with the paper. I was just about to hand it in to you when you asked."
What? Finished? I was halfway done! And help from her after being humiliated? Oh dear god help me.
Mr. Jung smiled and walked away.
"Ah, looks like Mr. Photosynthesis needs some help, does he?" Ji Hwan teased. I was just about to ask her to actually help me when she said, "Okay. So firstly, when the animal has longer legs, it has a larger exposed surface area, right? So when there's a larger exposed surface area, there's a faster rate of heat loss, thus the animal can lose heat to the surroundings quickly and thus preventing the animal from overheating." She smiled and went back to her work.
Woah, she actually helped me? There was no hint of mockery or sarcasm in her voice. She was genuinely helping me. My eyebrows were knit together. I was confused, not by the question, but by her.
Maybe she wasn't an attention seeker.
Maybe she wasn't another competition.
Maybe she could actually turn out to be a good friend.
There were a million possibilities.
Who are you, then, Park Ji Hwan?

Author's Note:
Hey ya'll! I know its been more than 5 days and I'm so sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy! I've been really busy studyimg even though it's the holidays and well, my energy levels have been as low as Suga's enthusiasm about Jin's jokes. Yup, that low. Anyway, I quickly finished up this chapter so that it wouls be my Hari Raya gift to you! So Selamat Hari Raya (if you celevrate) or have a great fantastic and fabulous day (if you don't celebrate) to any rare soul who's reading.
~ PrincessTCO