CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

The past two days have been a blur. I've been busy packing my belongings, trying to convince myself to be strong and avoid weakness. Aunt Anna has been my rock during these trying times-offering me comforting words and placing her hands on my shoulders. As I closed the zipper of my luggage, I hugged her tightly, knowing that it might be the last time I see her in a while. Tears welled up in my eyes as the car's sound grew louder.

"I don't want to leave you. I don't deserve any of this," I whispered, barely holding back my sobs.

She whispered soothing words in my ear and tried calming me down, but it was useless. Kyla walked in just as I was about to break down completely.

"Adams is already here," she said, her voice filled with sorrow.

I wiped away my tears and put on a weak smile, grabbing my luggage. I hugged Aunt Anna one more time and said goodbye, feeling a sense of emptiness wash over me.

Adams was already waiting for me on the front porch, and I tried my best to avoid eye contact with him, hoping he wouldn't notice me. However, he gently smiled and offered to help me with my luggage. He placed his hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"I promise that I won't hurt or abuse you. Just trust me, okay?" Drake said, his eyes pleading.

I looked at him briefly, trying to read his expression, before nodding slowly.

"Yes, I understand."

As we got into his car, I couldn't help but notice how rushed and eager he seemed. Feeling confused and uncertain about what was going on.

I was just about to turn around to see what it was when Adams spoke up, breaking the silence.

"You already have a room prepared for you at my house. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can switch to my guest rooms," he said, his focus on the road ahead.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "It's fine. I'm comfortable sleeping in small or big rooms."

He seemed uncertain and kept stealing glances in the rearview mirror.

"There are also a couple of housemaids there, so if you need anything, you can ask them anytime," he added. After a few minutes, his tense posture relaxed, and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Um, okay. Thanks," I responded awkwardly, watching Drake curiously.

Suddenly, he turned to me and said, "By the way, I have a question to ask, if I may.."

I raised an eyebrow in surprise and tucked a strand of my blonde hair behind my ears.

"Yes, go ahead," I replied.

"How did you end up under the care of your Aunt?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

"I thought you had your sources, so why bother asking me?"

"Yes, I do have my sources. But your aunt's details are not explicitly stated on the paperwork, just some basic information," he explained, taking a U-turn.

I took a deep breath and tried to recall the details of my past without being judged. "You already know about my parents' accident. But I couldn't even remember my past life; the last thing I could recall was Aunt Anna telling me that my parents were dead and that she would take care of me until I grew up," I said, gripping the edge of my seat.

"You must be close to her," he remarked.

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, she said I was like the daughter she lost a few years ago."

He furrowed his brows in confusion and pressed on the gas pedal. "Anna lost her daughter?"

"Yes. Aunt Anna's daughter was Martha; she was only eleven years old when she drowned in a lake during a summer camp trip. And just a year after her death, my parents were also gone. It was a tough time for both of us," I explained.

"I'm sorry," he muttered softly.

"Me too," I said.

We parked the car, and his complexion suddenly drained of color. I turned to see what startled him and saw another Drake standing beside a vehicle, grinning wickedly at me.

His lips moved silently, but I could make out his words clear as day, "Hello, Kelly."