Chapter 5

*Hanna's POV*
Emily cried in my lap and I just stroked her head trying to calm her down.
"Did you run all the way from your house?" I asked.
"Yeah, d-didn't stop once," she mumbled.
"When did your mum hit you before?" I was really worried about Em, maybe her mother was hitting her because she was gay.
"You don't have to tell me,".
"No, I want to, I have to tell someone I trust," Emily whispered.

"When my dad went away to work for a few months the first time, it started...y-you know those bruises that I used to have?"
I nodded, and waited patiently for her to continue.
"She used to hit me about 3 times a day, this was when she wasn't even drunk,"
"Oh my god Em, I'm so sorry,"
"Then she stopped, I faced her and told her I wasn't scared, which was a lie... I was terrified," she cried, while telling me what happened a tear fell down her cheek and dripped off of her chin.

I heard some voices from downstairs, a couple of seconds later my bedroom door slipped open. Spencer and Aria walked in. They both hugged Em and then sat on the bed beside us.
"What happened?" Aria asked.
"Emily's mum..." I looked down at Em to see if it was alright to tell them and she nodded, "hit her," I continued. "It wasn't the first time," both Spencer and Aria gasped. After I'd explained everything that Em had told me Emily carried on with her story.

"She told me that she missed my dad and she was just lonely, which was total BS, it was because I'm gay, tho she didn't know about me and maya or me and Paige,"
"Em, you can stay here, I don't want you to go back to your mum," I wasn't going to let Em leave, she wasn't safe with her mother. She nodded and smiled sadly, I replied with a smile.

"After my dad went back to Afghanistan, she started to hit me again...," she paused thinking back to what had happened.
"A couple of days later, she ran in my room and I found out my dad had died, she hugged me but if felt fake. I don't even think she was upset about the news,". Tears slid down her cheeks as I felt my eyes prickle up too. The four of us just lead in a huddle all hugging and crying. We stayed like this for a while before she started talking again.

"Today I went home to find her drunk, she chased me up the stairs and told me I had to hoover the toaster," this made Emily chuckle slightly and I smiled.
"She slapped me and grabbed hold of me, when I managed to escape her grip I ran down the stairs, she threw a book at me, I ran out of the door and before I knew it I was in Hanna's arms,".