chapter one || closer to the spiritual

"that'll be sixteen dollars and twenty-four cents," josh prompted, holding out his hand to receive the money. he plastered a bright smile on his face – the manager appreciated bright moods when dealing with costumers, and he knew nothing else would be tolerated.

the woman who purchased the pastries smacked her lips and preceded to retrieve the money from her purse.

the red-head fluttered his eyes sweetly as he waited for the money.

after a few moments, she gathers the bills and change necessary, but bypasses josh's hand and places them on the marble counter.

josh didn't like that; he still kept the smile on his lips as he handed her the purchased items nonetheless.

"uh, have a nice day!" josh calls to her.

as she walks out of the small shop, he dropped the act almost immediately. he was a little pissed because she didn't put the money directly in his hand, and he was far too lazy to grab it.

he shifted his gaze to all corners of the store, making sure no one was watching him.

josh then fixated his gaze unto the money that sat on the counter. he used his mind to slowly drag it closer to him. he squinted a bit as he gradually began to accelerate the speed of the items approaching him.

when they eventually came into his reach, he quickly glances around to see if anyone was watching him again, then scooped the money into his palm to soon organize it within the cash register.

"josh! my man!" josh's heart fell in his stomach at the greeting. mark – the manager of the establishment – patted his shoulder, compassionately.

"y-yes s-sir," he stammered, forgetting how to breathe for a moment.

"your shift is over," mark started, gesturing to the clock. he was right – josh's shift finished thirty minutes ago. "go home. i'll see you tomorrow, 'ya bugger."

"o-okay." he exhaled, assuming he didn't see him do the thing. you know, the 'move things with your mind' thing he tried to keep a secret. he probably would have said something, knowing mark's bluntness.

he took off the apron, and went to the back room and  got ready to leave.

-

"jordan, i'm home! i also got some food for 'ya!" josh yelled as he entered the tiny house. he walked into the conjoined kitchen, throwing the food items onto the counter where they usually would eat.

his brother emerged from the back room in no time, walking into the kitchen with a stretch. "hey josh, how was work?" he asked, leaning onto the counter with a hand under his chin.

"same as any other day." the red-head answered casually, removing the food from the bag.

"did you hear about that hayley girl?" he reached over to grab a fry while he asked.

"the one with the bright orange hair? no, what happened?" josh would see her come into the shop occasionally, ordering the same strawberry lemonade each time. they had a few conversations, and from that - josh could tell she was very outgoing.

"well, turns out she can fly. some say they saw her flying over truman park. like, not in an airplane."

"oh really? 'ya learn something new everyday," josh said nonchalantly, shoving some fries into his mouth.

"she disappeared, josh." he continued, glaring at his brother.

"she could have ran away."

"she didn't run away. they probably killed her."

"you don't know that, jor," josh says through a mouthful.

"well, don't you remember, cari? she was your friend and she could pick up a car. you don't see her around anymore, do you?"

"jordan-"

"be careful. you know they don't take kindly to the supernatural."

josh hated to admit that he was right.

hey wassup hello, welcome to my new book (and yes the title is a pulp fiction reference - "shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably share silence"). as soon as i finish my other joshler book, i'll be updating this pretty frequently this story will be pretty short though, but i hope you enjoy the ride

(the titles of the chapters are in the song linked above, so give the goat a listen)

- devil's flower

created june 14th, 2017 @ 6:29pm