Highland Grace (Highlands Trilogy) (Book Two) (Ch 4-7)

Copyright © K.E. Saxon 2008

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS CONTAIN ADULT CONTENT AND ARE INTENDED ONLY FOR THOSE READERS 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER.

CHAPTER 4

Jesslyn pulled the fur-lined mantle tighter around her arms and shoulders as she paced in front of the opening to the shallow cave where she and Bao had first met—the setting of their last private talk, as well, before he’d left last summer.The vines, that had once been so full of leaves, serving to cloak the entry, were now dry brown stems—a somewhat sinister version of their former selves, or so it seemed to her.Thankfully, the snow flurries had stopped some time earlier, but there was still a thin layer of frost on the ground, and it weighted down the pine and juniper branches as well.

Where was Bao?She’d been waiting here for what seemed an half-hour.Mayhap, he’d changed his mind.After all, his reaction to the news of the babe had been distress and alarm. Exactly what she’d expected after the cool reception she’d received from him. Mayhap, he was afraid she would confirm that he’d fathered the babe and he would feel honor-bound to wed her.

But he had naught to fear, for she had no intention of wedding him under these circumstances. Nay, he’d made it more than plain last summer that he desired an unfettered life. And with his distant manner today, this course seemed even more imperative. Besides, she had little doubt that he’d resent her for forcing him into an unwanted union, and a life filled with anger and bitterness was not the life she would have for her babe, her lad, or herself.

Deciding it would be foolish for her to wait for him any longer, she turned to leave.She hadn’t walked more than two paces when the sound of a horse whinnying brought her up short.Her gaze riveted on Bao as he walked with masculine grace over the snow and ice-covered forest floor toward her, leading his stallion by the reins.

“I hope you haven’t been here long,” he said, his tone rigid, when he was close enough for her to hear him.“It took more time than I’d expected to delay the walk I’d planned with my sister.”His breath formed puffs of gray misty fog as he spoke, his movements stiff as he tethered his horse to the trunk of a nearby pine.When he’d completed the task, he turned toward her and his eyes swept her violently trembling form. “‘Tis bitter cold out here, I’d best make a fire before you become ill.” All his words were right, but his voice remained steely.

“My thanks.I should have made one myself, but I wasn’t aware of the cold until just now.” She heard her own overly cheerful tone and berated herself. Why do you care if he likes or hates you? You’ll not be seeing much of him after today.

An awkward silence ensued as she watched him build a fire near the opening to the cave before pulling back the bare stems of the vines and bringing the two stools made from portions of pine trunks forward.

Hating the silence, she asked, “I’ve often wondered: How did you manage to make those stools and the table while you dwelled in the forest?Did you actually travel with such cumbrous tools?”

Bao looked toward her.“Nay, we brought only a few satchels filled with the minimum for our needs—and my weapons, of course.”He shrugged and shook his head.“The stools and table were here when I found the cave.I know not from where they came.”

“Hmm,” she replied with a nod.

“Come, sit by the fire.”Bao unclasped the circular gold pin at his shoulder.“Take my mantel,” he said, shrugging one shoulder out of the heavy brown covering.

“Nay, the fire will be sufficient to warm me.”She settled on a stool and leaned forward with her palms raised toward the heat of the flames.

He refastened the pin and crossed his arms over his chest, his look once more brooding and tense. It made Jesslyn glad that she could hide most of her visage within her own mantel’s fur-lined hood.