Chapter 4

The next day Anupam went out so early. The birds were still chirping and the sounds of the insects lingered through the atmosphere. But there was a strange stillness.

But Madhumita was nowhere to be seen.

He looked for her everywhere. He went to the field where they had played cricket. But no, not even the children were there. Might be he was so early. So he waited for some time.

Madhumita did not come. But he saw a person coming through the road on a bicycle. The person looked local. Might be he know something.

"Good morning, sir," he said politely, "Do you know a girl named Madhumita? She lives here."

"Oh! I see. You know that's just an illusion. Forget about her," the person said.

"I don't understand."

"I know it's hard. But it's a mystery. The people who come to this place for the first time, they experience this illusion. They see a girl who has mysterious eyes..."

Anupam interrupted him, "No, no! It couldn't be. I talked with her. I played with her. And..."

"And she called you today?"

"Yeah. How do you know that?"

"That happens with everyone," the person laughed, "I should go. I've some work."

"Wait. Wait. I don't believe you," Anupam said suddenly, trying to understand the situation.

But he was gone.

Yes, he thought, I don't believe in him. Those are just superstitious people. But do I have proof?

Suddenly he remembered that he had taken a photograph of her. He took out his camera and searched for the photograph.

It couldn't be! I can't meet a girl that doesn't exist!

The same photograph. But there was no Madhumita. Only he. He looked again closely. No, there was just Anupam and the birds,  the trees and the bushes in the background.

________

END

_________