Blackmail

I walked behind Sanghee defeatedly, carrying her bag and books for her as she rambled about how she was going to make Jay love her. With nothing else left to do, I wondered, for the thousandth time in my school years, how I had ended up in this position.

~~~

"(Y/N)!" my best friend and crush, Jay, called out. "Hey, wait up!"

Smiling, I stopped in my tracks and faced him. "Jay, what's up?"

He returned my smile. "Nothing much, I just wanted to walk to class with you." I laughed and shook my head.

We managed to get to the class a little early. Only a few people were there, which meant we got to choose our seats. We both agreed to sit in the middle so we weren't right at the  or all the way in the back.

By the time we had situated ourselves, more people had started coming in, including the prettiest girl, Sanghee. She sent a smile our way, but I knew it was aimed at Jay. I took happiness in the scowl he gave her.

The end of the class came quickly because we had no work. Within what felt like minutes, we were being released for lunch.

"That went quick!" I told Jay as I grabbed my bag. "I didn't expect it to be like that."

He laughed in response, the warm sound  distracting me from a wad of paper falling out of my back pack as we left for the cafeteria.

~~~

At the end of the day, Jay and I seperated at the school gate like we always did.

One thing that wasn't normal was that Sanghee came up to me with a fake-sweet smile.

"Hi, (Y/N)!" she said, grabbing my arm like we were friends. I didn't want to argue for fear of getting beat up.

Once we were about a block from the school, she gave my arm a death-grip.

"Alright, you freak," she spat, turning to face me. "I'm going to be nice and give you a choice right now. You are going to do my work and do everything I say, or I will show this to Jay."

The paper she held up was immediately familiar. I had spent long amounts of time staring at the writing, I had even memorized parts of it.

To my best friend, Jay,

How many years have me been friends? I can't exactly count, but I will never forget the way you protected me that day.

For the past few weeks, I've been falling, but not necessarily in a bad way. No, Jay, I, your best friend, have fallen for you.

Your best friend,

(Y/N)

"How sweet!" she mocked, fluttering her eyelashes. "Although, I guess it was balled up in your bag for a reason. You don't want Jay to see this, do you? Do as I say and he won't."

~~~

I snapped out of it as she grabbed her books away from me. Smiling, she ripped her bag from me and sat down. Eyes on my feet, I went over to my own seat just as Jay sat down in his, right next to me.

"Hey," he said with a cute smile. Unable to stop myself, I returned it, knowing Sanghee would scold me later.

"Hello," I greeted, hoping my voice wouldn't betray me and show him how upset I was. Thankfully, even if it did break, he just kept smiling and looked at the teacher.

Unlike that day, so long ago, the class wouldn't end quick enough. It felt like hours until I was packing my stuff and leaving the room.

Jay stayed beside me, talking with that same smile, until Sanghee stepped between us.