Breaking

Jay leaned back agaist the headboard of his bed in his disgusting, run-down apartment. He couldn't afford much more, so he made due with what he was given.

It was worse when he'd first gotten it. The walls were cracking, the windows were just thin sheets over a hole in the wall, and his bathroom needed serious repairs. Now, it was fairly liveable. He had somehow gotten rid of the stench of dead mice.

One thing he couldn't fix was the thin walls, but he didn't really want to. His neighbour, the only other person on that floor, was very pretty. A lot of the time, she had her music playing and she'd sing along. Jay swore that he had heard the sound of angels the first time he heard it. He could also hear everytime she moved her furniture, had a phone call (though the words were ineligible, it wasn't that thin), or when she laughed at her TV.

Today, he hadn't heard anything, so he assumed she was gone. He was proved right when he heard the door to her apartment close, albeit roughly. Something was thrown and she sat on her bed, which was right on the wall where Jay was.

The sound of sobbing made him shoot up in his bed. That had never happened before, what was he supposed to do?

He decided he had nothing left to lose.

"Um, miss?" he called through the wall. He heard her little gasp. "Are you alright?"

"Oh, am I bothering you?" she said back. "I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"No, it's fine, really!" he assured her. "You just sound upset! What happened?"

"I don't want to bug you with my personal problems," she responded.

"No, I want to know how to help!" Jay told her. "Please, tell me what's wrong!"

It was silence for a moment, before she spoke again. "My boyfriend, he cheated on me with my sister! I went to his house, and there they were, having sex on his fucking couch!" She started crying again.

"Sounds like an asshole," Jay said. He smiled when he heard a small giggle on the other side. "If he hurt you, then he doesn't deserve you!"

"I guess you're right," she responded. "Thanks."

"No problem. Why don't we go somewhere tomorrow? I've, uh, wanted to meet you since I moved in, but never really got a good chance, but maybe I can take you to a coffee shop or something?"

"That sounds really nice," she sniffled. "I would like to go somewhere tomorrow."

"Great," Jay said, smiling wide. "Does twelve for lunch work for you?"

"Absolutely."