iii

"FINNICK!" SHE SHOUTED, running up and throwing her arms around him. He held her close.

"Hi," he said, resting his head on her shoulder.

"You came back to me," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Don't cry, I made it. I'm alive," he smiled, pulling back and wiping her tears away.

"I know. That's why I'm crying," she said. "I'm happy."

"I told you I wasn't going to leave you all alone," he said. She buried herself in his arms once again and nodded.

"I know," she smiled.

-

"SCARLETT ROMES, PLEASE report for individual assessment," the voice said over the speakers. Scout rose and walked out of the waiting room and into the presentation room.

"Scarlett, you have ten minutes to present your skill of choice," Plutarch Heavensbee said. The other game makers chatted amongst themselves happily. They hadn't a care in the world.

Suddenly, an idea struck her. She would show them. She's not a pawn in President Snow's game. Not anymore.

She rushed to grab a bowl of paint, grabbing a plastic dummy as well. She used her finger to scribble names onto the chest of the dummy. She grabbed a rope and used it to hang up the dummy from the ceiling. She took a bow when her ten minutes was up. She left the room feeling angrier than when she entered.

The game makers looked over the dummy, reading the list of names on the chest.

Abdul and Bena. Cade and Heena. Chadwick and Dellar. Elton and Frona. Gunner. Ike and Kanisha. Lance and Geneva. Parley and Nollia. Quinten and Ophelia. Samir and Rena. Uriah and Starla.

All the tributes from her Game.

-

CAESAR FLICKERMAN WALKED onto the stage, greeted by the large crowd in the stands screaming and cheering.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you all for being here tonight on the eve of the Seventy-Fifth Hunger Games!" He shouted into his microphone extravagantly. "We have never seen anything like this, and we will never see anything like it again. Because tonight, on this stage, twenty-four of Panem's brightest stars will fight for the crown. Tonight will be their last opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings, and our last opportunity to express our love. And heartbreakingly, to say goodbye to all ... but one. What a night."

"Let's hear it," he laughed. "I'm so excited!"

One after another, tributes walked up to the talk show host for their last interview.

"These Victors are angry, Scarlett. They'll say anything to stop the games," Jax told her. "I suggest you do the same."

She nodded as she watched Haymitch give a similar speech to Katniss.

"Scout, I need your help with something," Katniss said, walking over to her. Jax left them in peace.

"What is it?"

"I need you to protect Peeta in the Games. He needs to be the one to live, not me," Katniss explained.

"You're asking me to risk my life so your boyfriend can live?" Scout asked, disbelievingly.

"Please Scarlett. I really need your help," Katniss pleaded. Scout sighed.

"Fine."

"Thank you," Katniss said, heading back to her place with Haymitch.