Chapter 5

Zoey POV Continued

But then I realized that having my two best friends date could be a good thing. I sometimes felt I had to choose between hanging out with one or the other. Now we could all hang out in a group.

“Sure,” I offered.

After all, what was the worst that could happen?

_______________________________________________

Chase: I don’t think I give you enough credit for your positive attitude.

Zoey: Yes, I’m Queen Optimist.

Chase: Well, I wouldn’t put it that way.

Zoey: I was being sarcastic.

Chase: Really?

Zoey: I’d rather be cautious than assume that everything will just work out.

Chase: It’s called being laid back.

Zoey: Or unrealistic. But whatever works for you.

Chase: Exactly. Whatever works.

_______________________________________________

Chase POV

If Had I known that getting a haircut was going to make me a chick magnet, I would’ve shaved my head the second we arrived in Wisconsin.

I could tell that Lola was acting differently at lunch our first day back. But I assumed it was because Zoey wasn’t around. Then she started doing all that stuff girls do to let you know they’re interested in you. She threw her head back after I said something that wasn’t that funny. Then she kept touching my arm and gazing into my eyes. At first, I thought that maybe she’d lost her mind over summer break. Then it dawned on me: Lola was flirting.

It wasn’t that a girl had never flirted with me before. I’d had a few girlfriends back home. But ever since I’d arrived in Cheese Country, I hadn’t had any girls pay any attention to me in that way.

I wasn’t sure if I could tell Zoey
about Lola. I mean, I knew Zoey and I were just friends, but people always talked about us like we were a couple. And when they did, Zoey usually scrunched her nose or did something that made it clear that the mere thought made her stomach turn. Which was a little harsh, but I knew where she was coming from.

Then when Zoey told me that Lola was interested in me and even helped me ask Lola on a date, it sorta cemented it. Zoey and I would never be like that. We were just friends. That’s how she saw me. And maybe we were better off being only friends.

Which was cool. Especially since she was my best friend here.

I decided to surprise her with a special treat after school. I told Mom not to pick us up so it would be only the two of us.

“Where are we going?” she asked when I took a left turn instead of a right.

“It’s a surprise.” I grabbed her elbow and led her down the street.

“Okay.” She sounded like she didn’t trust me. “Have you decided what you guys are going to do on Friday?”

“Who wants to know?” I found myself asking that a lot that week. Anytime Zoey inquired about my upcoming date, I wasn’t sure if she was curious or if she was getting intel for Lola.

“I am. I wanted to see if you needed any advice on what to do.”

“Oh.” I felt stupid for sounding paranoid. “I figured we’d get something to eat and see a movie. Is that too boring?”