Chapter 16

Chase POV Continued

Join the club, I thought.

Michael and James had been working with me on my catching skills. Even Logan had joined us a few times and thought I could play, actually play, on the varsity team the next year.

This was the life I’d dreamed of when we drove to Wisconsin four years ago. Being with a crew, being popular. I didn’t care how shallow it sounded. It was true.

I walked to classes in a group. I hung out with a group. My group. Girls were paying more attention to me.

It was about two weeks after Zoey and I had shared that sweaty hug when I was with my crew at our after-meet dinner.

“California!” James started slamming his hands against the table.

Michael joined him with his fists banging. “California, come on!” Soon the entire table was chanting my nickname.

I picked up the milk shake and chugged the entire thing. I didn’t care that I could hardly taste it or that the cold burned my throat. My guys were cheering me on.

“Dude!” James laughed. “That was insane. Twenty-six seconds. You totally crushed Michael’s time.”

“Won’t be the last time that happens,” I boasted, ignoring the instant pounding in my head from brain freeze.

James straightened up a bit and ran his hands quickly over his hair. He then jutted his chin out. “What’s up, Zoey?”

I turned around to see that Zoey had walked in with Quinn. They took a corner table.

“Dude, come on,” James pleaded. “Ask her to join us.”

I couldn’t tell if the lurch I felt was from slamming a milk shake or James’s constant insistence on being set up with Zoey.

James took my silence as a non-invitation for Zoey to join us. He seemed to concede … but then he popped out of his seat and headed over to her table.

I could only see part of Zoey’s face as James approached. She looked confused at first, then gave him a big grin. James said something that made her laugh and I jumped up.

“What’s going on?” I put my arm around James and gave Zoey an apologetic look. “Is he bothering you?”

“I’m inviting these lovely ladies over to our table.” James bowed his head.

Quinn picked up her menu and refused to look up. Her tolerance for “stupid boy shenanigans” was about as high as Zoey’s.

I knew the only way to get James to leave was to make him jealous.

“Hey, you.” I pushed James aside and sat down next to Zoey. “What are you getting?” I rested my chin on her shoulder for extra effect. “Let me guess, tuna melt?”

 “Let me guess, tuna melt?”