Chapter# 3

"I have a million questions Ruba. Okay?" Fizza, my best school mate blurts with excitement, as I enlighten her about the life altering decision my parents took only hours ago.

"I wish I could be you. Seriously, that is super amazing girl. You would be engaged finally, and look at me, my Mr. Right is still on his way." With that she huffs and I roll my eyes at her though I know she cant see me.

She has exaggerated a bit but that is exactly what I need right now, some energy boost up.

"Don't worry you will find him. He would be here somewhere waiting for you on his white horse to take you to his castle in the clouds." I say, sarcastically.

She gives a loud laughter in response to my daydream. "Yeah. I wish." She adds through her laugh.

Fizza and I have been together from ten years. Right from grade one up until high school. She has been wonderful through out. Always guiding and helping me out from situations, moulding me into what I am today, she is a pillar for me, my strength.

Marriage is the destination of every woman's life, she believes.

We used to talk about each others weddings, as little kids but the fantasies just dozed off with the passage of time and here we are today, discussing my fiancee. Time has got feathers, really.

With her black almond shaped eyes, a tiny nose which smells things from far away and the thickest, jet black hair reaching below her hips, Fizza is an attractive beauty.

After giving a dozen of satisfying answers to her, I end our call and text message a girl named Rida who has already gotten under my skin, though I have met her only a month ago at college.

Asking her if she is free to talk, I toss my phone aside while my thinking sticks its claws deep into my mind.

Things are different with Rida and I. We aren't the same 'college friends' who giggle over little jokes, scream at stupid timings, or act all frightened or astonished on little things. In short, there is nothing girly about us.

It only took a week for us to be just as close as we are today. It is still astonishing for me sometimes, how we meet someone one day and they become as important to us as our own breath, the next.

*Yeah now I am. What's up?*
The text message from her pops out on my phone screen.

*Nothing. Wanted to tell you something.*
I reply. I'm not sure how she will react in the first place.

*Yeah go head, unless its something frightening?*

*I'm getting married soon. My parents told me yesterday that they have chosen the man. The wedding is in two years.* Thats what I was supposed to say, right?

The question that still hovers over my mind is: How do people explain about their unknown fiancees to others?

I surely can not banter like an idiot who screams at her friends, at the top of her voice, so that the whole campus would know, without putting so much effort as to tell every single girl around her. Her face glooms in excitement mixed with a sack of shyness and she brags every good thing about her fiancee whom she hasn't met yet but knows about anyway. Then envies her friends how lucky she is and lastly, to cool down the fire, prays for an equally good man for them too.

I can not remember, throughout my seventeen years, if I had ever appraised the looks or appearance of a man. Obviously opposites attract, but why should we shout and let everybody know what's inside us? I personally believe that contradicting words should never be given life.

I might brag a little about Tauseef, a little mind you, to my friends and family. After all, I would be dependant on him, in every single way.

Fifteen minutes later, when there are still no signs of Rida, curiousness gets the best of me and I send her another message asking her if she is okay?

Half hour later, she still doesn't reply to me so I decide to take some sleep. Its past midnight already. And I have college tomorow. Tossing the phone on the side, I change into my sleeping clothes, and lay down on the bed next to an already asleep Zainab, hoping that Rida is okay and that she would reply back soon to me, I close my eyes.

My sleep drifts off to a 6 foot 3" man, fair and handsome, with eyes bigger than mine.