10. Forgetting Pain

-Laura's POV-

I couldn't sleep. Oh gosh, and I didn't even know why. I was just restless and it was killing me because I had work in four hours. I tossed the covers aside and got up. What was the point in staying in bed when I knew there was no way I was going back to sleep? I might as well go to work early. The hospital was pestering people for extra work hours anyway.

It was a thirty minute drive there and by the time I did arrive it was 4am. Nancy, the night shift nurse, gave me the strangest look before checking the time on her phone.

"It's a little early for you to come in, don't you think hun?" Nancy was the sweetest person I knew in that hospital and she was growing on me like more of a mother figure.

"I know but I couldn't sleep and figured you could use an extra pair of hands."

She smiled, delighted for my help. "Of course I could."

Nancy handed me a couple of clipboards and I headed off to work. I went through a ton of files and papers before checking up on a few patients. It was about 6am when I decided to visit one of my favorite patients in the building. I opened the door as quietly as I could so I wouldn't wake him up but to my surprise he was already up.

His full head of curly blond hair was peeking over the covers. His beautiful blue eyes were looking at me with such excitement. He was obviously pleased to see me.

"Laura, Laura you came." His cheery voice echoed in the plain white room.

I pulled his tiny five year old body into my arms and held him tight. "Of course I did and I brought you something."

I took the bar of Twix out of my pocket and gave it to him. Jayden snatched it from my hands and aggressively started opening it. I laughed.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you," he chanted over and over while hugging me.

"You're welcome."

He devoured the chocolate bar like it was the last one on earth. I had a habit of bringing him sweets but I couldn't help it. The innocent little boy had already captured my heart the moment I meet him. Life was tough on him. I just wanted to make it a little better.

Jayden was on his own. His parents had died in a car crash and his only remaining relative didn't give a crap about him. He survived the accident but was diagnosed with cancer when his blood work came back. There were months of chemotherapy after but nothing worked.

Jayden somehow became a lab rat for a new drug that was specifically made for his type of rare cancer.

He was happy his hair got to grow back and for a while he did feel better, like his old self. That was why I spent most of my spare time checking up on him. He had turned into a priority for me. There wasn't a day I could go without seeing him.

"How did you sleep sweetheart?"

He flashed me a big smile that melted my heart all over again. "Goooood."

I ruffled his hair before getting up. "I have a few more rounds to do but I'll be back in an hour, okay? Try and get some more sleep."

He agreed but I knew better. That candy bar was probably going to keep him wide awake. It was technically my fault. I had a bad habit of spoiling him. I had a weakness for children.

I spent the next hour doing boring checkups again while remaining half asleep. I bet I looked awful, with heavy black bags under my eyes. Gross. But then again none of the patients care how I looked.

When I got back to Jayden's room he wasn't up anymore. He was lying back in his bed and he was breathing heavily. I rushed over to him and placed my hand over his forehead. His skin was ghostly white and he was burning up.