01. Nothing but Flashbacks

01: Nothing but Flashbacks Act 1, scene 1

Act 1, scene 1

As told by Reuben

        "YOU KNOW, Reuben, having a stare down with the clock after you've taken every order is not going to make the clock tick at a faster pace of time," Seokjin reminded me. His towering frame hovered over me, like a skyscraper inhibiting the sun so that it does not lay down its rays of heat on something that merits love and warmth. He was leaning down so that his words could crawl on the tip of my ears.

        This made me snap out of my daze. I shifted my head instantaneously so that my gaze no longer lingers on the clock that was suspended above the entrance of the Corner Café, reading 10:47. For at this time, the sun had already decided to die along with its radiance on the side of the earth, so that the moon could flourish for the sake of the wolf's happiness. However, for me, it was thirteen minutes until closing time.

        My swift reaction almost made me headbutt with Seokjin. He staggered back within the enclosed space behind the counter, about to collide with the coffee maker when both of my frail hands enclosed around one of his frantic arms, fluttering ungraciously like a dying butterfly.

        The result of physical contact made me uncomfortable whenever I was applied to the equation. However, I rushed the topic into my comfort zone to avoid second-hand embarrassment for Seokjin in front of an elderly couple. They were the only ones left at the time, sitting at a small table for two in the corner, sipping their small cappuccinos that they had just ordered ever so slowly. Also, I did not want to get in trouble with him for breaking something while our boss wasn't present.

        As soon as Seokjin regained his balance, I briskly retracted my hands from his wrist. I turned back towards the cash register as if nothing in the last second had occurred, a quick apology slipping past my lips. I couldn't exactly identify why the relationship that had existed between Seokjin and me had to be thorny. He took me under his wing when I had first applied for the job little over a year ago to make some extra cash.

        But I already knew the answer to that. For my mind still held the belief that men delivered nothing but flashbacks of before, no matter what scarlet letter they bore across their chest.

< END OF ACT I, SCENE I >

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

Welcome, loves, to the first act of the novel.

Since the chapters somewhat replicate scenes in a play, the chapters are incredibly short. This is because if an author wants to do a time shift, they have to start another scene, even if the time shift is five minutes.

Therefore, I focus on the small details in each chapter to make the chapter longer, and to immerse you into the novel.

The first act is incredibly slow-paced, as *spoiler* Reuben and Jungkook will not truly have an interaction until the end of the first act.

The first act is for you to get some background information, which would be vital to the rest of the play. So, pay attention ;)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━