Chapter Six

My eyes rolled at the fifteenth time Nikki said Seth Rollins' name. I tried to stop them. Really. I even placed my favorite pillow over my face. But since we were on the phone and she couldn't see, I guess I didn't try my hardest.

Seth said this, Seth looked at me like that, Seth looks so cute when he– you can fill in the blank here because apparently he looks so cute doing everything.

The way she talked, I wondered where Kaitlyn was the whole weekend.

"He was at my car after practice today."

That woke me up. "Seriously?"

Nikki huffed. "Don't sound so surprised, I told you we bonded over the weekend."

"So, what happened?"

She pause for dramatic effect. I know her well enough to know she had a huge grin on her face as she anticipated my response to her words.

"He mentioned the Valentine's Ball."

"What!" I hopped off the bed and paced the room. "What? Oh my god, what did he say? Did he ask you to the dance?"

"No, he came to tell me why he couldn't ask me to the dance."

That stopped me mid-pace.

"Um, what?"

"He asked someone else last week. Before we spent the weekend together. He couldn't dump her four days before the dance." She sighed. "He's way too classy for that."

In my head, I made disgusting retching noises. Out loud, I said, "Why did he tell you he had a date with someone else?"

"Because it doesn't mean anything to him. It's just a commitment. Besides, if I went to the dance, I couldn't go away with his family."

My heart sank. Seth going to the dance meant no housesitting. No housesitting meant no swimming.

"You're still going away? Even if he's not going?"

"Who said he's not going?"

I sat on my bedroom floor and ran my fingers through the carpet fibers. "I'm confused."

"Obviously."

"Then explain. Explaaaaaaaain!" I laid on my bedroom floor as I whined into the phone.

"You're so lame," Nikki laughed.

One point for me. The last rule I gave AJ stated that we could get points for people calling us lame. I knew Nikki would come through for me.

"Explaaaaaain!"

"Dean's meet is only a couple of hours away. Seth's going to meet us after the dance is over."

"So why can't he bring you with him? If he's going to the dance, you could, too. Then you could spend two hours alone in the car with him." If I had the opportunity to spend hours alone with a hot guy, I'd go for it.

Nikki would, too.

"Kaitlyn said since I was her guest, I had to leave with her. Besides, just between you and me, she hates her current stepmother. If I'm there, witch has play nice."

"Who's the witch? Kaitlyn or the evil stepmom?"

I noticed Nikki didn't laugh at my joke. Instead she said, "Hater."

I laughed. "No need to be rude, Pookie."

"Huh? What did you call me?"

I laughed again. Calling your friends Pookie counted for a one point in the lame contest. AJ had added that rule after lunch. "Sorry, it's an inside joke with AJ. I forgot you didn't know."