Chapter 14

Jay

Most of the villagers were compliant in moving out quickly, but others were more reluctant and demanded hardcore evidence that the Zarion were coming. Others wanted to bring a lot of things from their homes, and others just didn't want to be bothered by leaving. I looked to Tor whenever someone was being difficult and let him handle them.

I kept The Glory grounded for the most part. I had only made two flights to where the Zarion were going; transporting younger children and the city elders who couldn't move as fast. The village was larger than most. It made me wonder how the Empire could just get rid of the town and harbor ships without someone noticing this large civilization just went missing suddenly. I too wanted more solid information, but for now, we just have to take the word of a defector, which still didn't ease my mind.

Over the years of working with the Dissent, I've come across my fair share of troopers posing as defectors and later turn on members of the Dissent. There's no way of telling that the Zarion on The Spirit is actually on our side, or if he's leading the Zarion straight to us. If that happens, there won't be any means of an escape without losing large numbers. The Spirit is defenseless right now; he could be disabling the engines and sending out a signal for rescue as we muddle around the village. A jolt of panic sliced through my side, thinking about how I left Azura alone with a possible spy. I instantly cleared my mind, trying not to let my ludicrous fantasies block judgement. Not all Zarion are bad; just have to keep remembering that.

Russ pulled up alongside me on his speeder. Tiny blades of grasses and dirty brushed against my legs as he stopped. "Brie says the tank and troopers are getting closer and will be here shortly. We need to evacuate everyone in the next ten minutes." He informed me.

"Only one tank? Not much of an invasion." I spoke aloud. I was beginning to like the intel from the defector less and less now.

Everyone around Russ and I stopped in their steps and turned towards the dam. Near the base of it, a large geyser of water was spewing into the air like a pillar made of water. It was so high in the air, whatever was causing it wasn't natural. Geysers like that don't just happen in the middle of a controlled body of water and by the amazed looks of the villagers, this was something new.

I squinted my eyes, searching for the source but it was impossible to see at this distance. The wildness of the water felt familiar somehow. I opened my mind and tried to sense what was causing the abnormality. At the very back of my brain, I felt the sharp prick of pain being felt and the sense of dread. As soon as I felt it, I felt that I was connecting to Azura. "Quick, Russ, give me the speeder. Get these people moving again; we got to get out of here." I urged him. Dutifully, Russ hoped off and I took his spot. I instantly sped off to where the geyser had once been.

It was hard to bump around the villagers, so I pulled out and instead followed the river up to the location of the dam. The more I approached, the more noticeable the sound of laser fire was.

Hiding below in a cover of rocks, Azura was being bombarded by several Zarion soldiers. Three of them remained working along the wall and two were firing from up above. One lone trooper had jumped into the water and was coming up on Azura's position. Azura was busily defending herself against the Zarions above, she didn't see the one floating to her.

Lucky for her, I'm an excellent shot.

Using the gunfire on the speeder, I took down the trooper before he could fire first. Azura spun around to see me approach. The other three Zarion were now away from the wall, also firing at me. I went the long way and approached the bridge from my side of the ridge. Azura squatted in the water, then used it to throw herself up onto the bridge. It was a pretty far jump, but Azura and the water worked with such poise and power, it would surprise anyone that she didn't have any formal training.