Chapter 9

A pound pounding wakes me up and at first I thought the infected got Rory and their trying to kill me together, but I process that they are human knocks.

"Alex? Al? Let me in." Sid's voice seeps through the door. I move away the object barricading the door and am tackled my best friend.

"Hey, what took you guys so long?" I ask when she releases me. I watch Rory burn the infected. When there are nothing but bones left, he tosses them far away. I sigh.

"You're in the F wing, idiot!" Sid looks as if she's been crying. "Thought you were dead. Rory said we should check the D and E wings, see if you got it wrong. When you weren't their, I was a total mess. Then, I heard you screaming. I was your nightmare scream so I followed it and shot him." She points to the bones, "in the head with a gun."

"Sorry, I just needed a break from people." I sigh and run my hand through my hair, "Can we go back, I'm starved." I'm led back to our little civilization and people tackle me with hugs. Nick lifts me up.

"Why would you do that?!" He grabs my cheeks and stares into my fragile brown eyes.

"I needed a break." I say slowly, "from people."

"I know, but don't just run off like that!" Rory jerks me away from my cousin. I try to struggle away from him but his stein arms engulf me. When I'm freed Zach looks at us, jealousy burning in his eyes. I tackle him with a hug and I could practically hear it go away.

"I was so worried, Al." He whispers.

"I'm so sorry, Zach." I clutch onto my friend. "I'm so sorry." I repeat. When it's all over, I'm escorted to my room by Zach, Hannah, and Sid.

"You shouldn't have done that." Hannah sighs, "Rory was so worried about you. He yelled at Janie for talking to him while he was pacing.

"I know. But you guys don't have to escort me to my room." I seethe.

"We should go out tomorrow for one last sweep of the city. Then next week, send them off." Zach moves the topic. I mod and we all agree. I turn to the, right outside my door.

"Guys, go. Please go." I plead.

"What?! I thought you wanted us to stay!" Sid takes a step back.

"No. I can't loose you." I sigh. "Shooting that boy in the head two days ago was so hard. I can't do that to people I know."

"You won't have to." Zach grins. He kisses my cheek and walks away. It was a friendly kiss, but my cheek buzzed with heat. I feel the blush come across my face and shrink away. I turn to see the girls stifling laughter.

"Love triangle!" Hannah squeals.

"No!" I shriek, "No love and no triangles."

"Fine." The murmur something about me being 'no fun' but I just walk into my room for a good nights sleep.

➷➸➹ ➷➸➹ ➷➸➹ ➷➸➹ ➷➸➹ ➷➸➹

"Wake up, get ready!" I'm shoved off the bed and wet.

"What the h-" I look down at my soaked body and the bucket in Sydney's hand, "SID!" I stand up, wide awake and give her a big hug, grinning.

"Oh, Al!" she groans.

"Oh, Sid!" I mimic. I slip into the bathroom and change quickly. We've been here about a month and it's almost fall, so I throw in some jeans, a belt to keep weapons in, and a tank too with a hoodie over it. "Ready." I call in five minutes flat, slipping out of the bathroom. I grab my usual weapons and an Axe I had taken a liking to.