Issue #1 - Small Changes

Sean had been waiting for hours to get his train ticket on the crowded line. Why do so many people on Long Island always want to go places? Sean could never answer this question. He was still waiting, only two people in front of him. If only they would move a tad bit faster...

Sean was very light and skinny for a twelve-year-old. He was in the seventh grade, and he was moving from Long Island to Colorado Springs. His family was already in their new home in Colorado. He had been staying at his grandfather's so he could finish his last week of school before he left his hometown for good. Even more, he wanted to spend as much time as he could with his friends. Outcasts to most of the kids in their school, they were amazing once you got to know them, at least to Sean. They were Ethan, Zach, Daniel, Packie, Gino, and Gabby.

Gabrielle. Sean was madly in love with her, and, surprisingly, she liked him back. Sean never confessed it, and his friends only teased him about it privately, but it was all for fun. Like Sean, Gabby never confessed it either. Each was afraid of rejection. They both could've practiced in front of the mirror, rehearsed, but once it came to the moment, it was always some stuttering, blushing, red faces. Now, even if they were prepared, it was too late. Sean was leaving.

Gino waited nearby for Sean to get his ticket. All the others waited too, a short distance further, except for Ethan who was at the dentist. Sean was disappointed that for some reason his teeth were more important than saying good-bye, but it was probably because Ethan's mom made him keep the appointment.

Sean made it to the window to get his ticket. The teller reviewed Sean's information. "Heading to Colorado, young man?" the teller asked redundantly.

Looking back at his friends, Sean saw them all chuckling at their phones. Only Gino was watching Sean, his phone not even in hand. Sean sighed and replied to the man awkwardly, "Yeah."

Gino could hear the obvious unease and grinned at Sean. The others took notice and all started laughing to themselves. Sean's ears turned red and he tried to ignore his friends' teasing.

"There's your ticket. Have a nice trip," the teller smiled.

"Thank you, sir," Sean said.

Sean went to his friends and they took turns embracing him in big hugs. Passersby watched with kind amusement, indifference, or curiosity. But Sean didn't care. He was going to miss them all so much. "Guys, I'll try to visit every chance I've got," Sean reassured the group. It wasn't true though. He was twelve. He'd be lucky if his family took a vacation back here, but really, they all knew that this was the last time any of them would see each other.

"You better," Zach said.

Sean grinned an understanding smile, and then he looked at Gabby wondering how she was feeling. He cleared his throat. "Hey, Gabby," he started.

She hadn't hugged Sean yet. Instead, she was hanging back looking rather glum. He walked to her, and the others gave them some respectful space. She turned to Sean quickly and kissed him. Surprised, Sean did not resist, and he kissed her back, pulled her tighter.

The moment lasted forever, as though a flood of countless fun-filled afternoons were flashing by between their lips, but as it broke, it was gone in a heartbeat. As they released one another, the train whistle sounded loudly. It was time. The train would be arriving soon, and Sean looked toward the group with an expression that said everything. I'll miss you, guys.

The friends all stared back at Sean. He walked toward the platform edge and the gathering queue of travelers. He looked back at and called to them all ignoring the crowd's heavy blockade an shouted the word be had hoped he would never have to say, "Goodbye!" And they all smiled sadly knowing this was the end, at least for a long, long time. He looked out at the horizon and took Long Island in one final time, his life long home. His eyes swept over the platform at all the people, and he froze.