Getting a Job

I entered the museum and headed to the receptionist desk. The woman looked up as I entered.

    "Hello. How may I help you?" she asked.

    "I was wondering if there was a job available here," I answered.

    "Yes. There's a night guard position. If you would like to have it, talk to Dr. McPhee. Go over to the left and his office is the first door on the left. My name is Rebecca, by the way," she said.

    "Thank you. I'm Savanna," I replied.    

    I followed her directions and knocked on the right door.

    "Come in," a man's voice answered.

    I walked in and closed the door quietly behind me. A man sat behind a desk and looked up when I closed the door.

    "I'm here for the night guard job. I'm Savanna Rose. I'm twenty years old and have lived on my own for about two years, ever since my family was killed in a plane crash," I said.

    "You seem like you would be a good night guard. Do you like history?" Dr. McPhee asked.

    "Oh, I love history!" I exclaimed.

    He chuckled. He pulled out a set of keys and a flashlight. He placed them on the desk in front of me and pushed them towards me.

    "Your shift starts at six thirty. You'll be working with Larry Daley. Your shift ends at eight," he said.

    I picked up the keys and flashlight and smiled widely.

    "Thank you, sir," I said politely.

    "It's nothing. You seem to be able to take care of things," he told me with a wave of his hand, dismissing me.

    I skipped out of the room, smiling. Rebecca saw my expression and laughed.    

    "I take it he gave you the job?" she asked.

    I nodded excitedly. She smiled, and then turned away to help a little girl find her parents. I left and headed to my house, making sure I had plenty of time before my shift. I still had an hour. I was so excited that I could take on anything. I really wished that magic existed so that the exhibits came to life (ironic, isn't it?). I was in for an adventure tonight.