The Start Of Something

shawn mendes x reader

prompt: based on the songs Honest by Shawn Mendes and Ivy by Frank Ocean.

"It's that I hate to hurt you, but I got to be honest. I can't give you what you need. You deserve more than I can promise"

"I thought that I was dreaming when you said you loved me, the start of nothing"

The start of something.

The sky was pitch black as the stars danced around and glimmered. The air was cool and our cheeks were flushed. Pointing out the different constellations, lost in our own world. This is how I always want it to be. The 2 of us, enjoying each other's company, alone. Laughter filled my ears as we laid down on the grass, cracking jokes and being ourselves. The feeling was ethereal. It was almost like I was in some type of dream world. I could dream all night. The feeling deep down is good.

I glanced up at Shawn as I watched him laugh. The way his smile reflected the moon light, how his cheeks would gradually become a deep pink, how his eyes gleamed with joy. I couldn't help but watch and smile. I guess he had noticed, as the laughter had died down. Shawn looked at me and smiled a weary smile, as if he were trying to figure something out.

"You're staring." Shawn pointed out

"Sorry." I blushed. I wasn't sorry. If he could see my thoughts he would see our faces, together.

It was silent now, but it wasn't awkward. We were staring up into the sky once again. The moon was a waning crescent, typical. But all I could think about was Shawn and I, we were friends but that was all. I wanted to be so much more, Shawn is the boy of my dreams. But I want him to be the boy of my reality.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Shawn spoke abruptly

"Huh?" I asked, a little disoriented by the sudden conversation

"The sky, it's beautiful. The light rays make your skin look nice." Shawn pointed out casually. I could say the same to him.

Tonight seems like the perfect night to tell Shawn that I like him, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. No matter what I did, my waves wouldn't dip. So why would they now?

"Shawn, can I tell you something?"

"Yeah, go ahead. You can tell me anything." Shawn stated

"Ok," I took a deep breath before continuing, "Have you ever thought of us, like together. More than friends, because I've thought about it a lot. I think we have this connection. I hope you feel the same way because I really want to see where this goes." I rambled.

I glanced at Shawn before continuing, "I think I love you, Shawn." The wind stopped howling and the air around us was silent. I didn't bother looking at Shawn, his silence was a giveaway. Maybe I had just ruined everything.