Never Be Alone

shawn mendes x reader

prompt: After years of always being by each other's side, Shawn and reader are finally separated. The only question is, how will they hold up?

Author's note: I've had this in my drafts since December but I had extreme writer's block.

"take a piece of my heart, and make it all your own, so when we are apart, you'll never be alone"

I was awake in bed like I had been for a few nights now. Everything was so perfect for so long. But now, all I feel is conflict deep inside my bones. Why couldn't life just stay easy? Why does everything have to change? More importantly, how do I tell him. I gripped the envelope in my hand, the envelope that would change everything. I was excited, I couldn't deny that, but I was also distraught, to say the least. I looked up at the ceiling of my dimly lit room before turning my attention to the window; the calm, black sky was twinkling with stars. I smiled, trying to keep the image in my mind, as I would have to leave behind soon. I breathed hesitantly and reached for my phone. Just as I was dialing the number, I received a call, from him. I smiled gently and touched the green button.

"Hey, I was just about to call you." I laughed into the phone.

"Maybe it's telepathy." Shawn joked. I giggled through the phone.

"I need to talk to you about something." I breathed, my tone became serious and the mood became heavy. Shawn noticed this and his breath hitched in his throat.

"I need to tell you something too, but not tonight. Meet me in the tree house tomorrow at 8PM." Shawn addressed

"The tree house? You're kidding? How do you know we'll even fit in there anymore." I teased.

"Just trust me, it's important." Shawn sighed. My face relaxed and I remained silent for a while.

"Alright, I'll meet you there Shawn." I spoke in an all-too neutral tone. We whispered our goodbyes and ended the call.

I gently placed the phone back on my nightstand. Staring out the window, I smiled as I remembered Shawn's voice, so soft and velvety, speaking to me moments ago. A calm breeze before the storm that was to come.

I could hear the calm humming of the wind around the wooden structure as the leaves gracefully fell onto the grass, a clear sign of the start of autumn. Autumn was such a beautiful season, it gave the vibe of a fresh start, autumn was the beginning of a new life. The sun was setting, adding a deep tinge to the vibrant ombre of the sky.

I was patiently waiting for Shawn in our childhood treehouse that was located in our shared backyard. Shawn and I have been best friends since my family moved into the neighbourhood, and into the house right next to his. I was 4 when I met Shawn for the first time. We instantly bonded, and we spent all of our time together since. The treehouse was built when we were in the first grade, our parents built it for us after we begged them nonstop for weeks.