Part 1: Checking In

It was already nearing midnight as the cab stopped on the sidewalk. "317 South Spring Street, Los Angeles, we have arrived ma'am." The man behind the steering wheel looked back at me. "Thank you," I paid and took a moment to look out of the window. The big sign hanging from the front of the building, a red neon light strip spelled out; Hotel Cortez. My stomach turned for a moment before I opened up the door and stepped out, pulling my luggage from teh backseat and closed the door with a slam. It was raining and the wind almost pushed me over as I took a step forward, maybe it wasn't that of a good idea to put on the first best shoes I saw, which were calf height heels, before rushing out of the door of my house, that damned house.

The day I cut of my long wavy hair into a messy bob in anger changed everything. I never fitted in, when it was about thoughts to my choice of fashion, I never fitted in with the others. As a kid who already was very self-conscious and lonely, my parents didn't make the situation any better. They always blamed me for things I haven't done, punished me for no reason and told me that everything that went wrong such as the fact that my father's business has gone bankrupt, my mother had a miscarriage because, they said, I had prayed to the gods for no siblings. "That isn't true! You are insane!" I had screamed before the punishment came, which could be no food for the rest of the day or sleeping outside in the rain.

And there I sat the other night, yesterday night, in my room, ready to go, to get away after all of these years. I was able to get some bags and even a pair of scissors with me. I finished throwing some clothes and other stuff in there before sitting down, looking down at my hands. I grew out my nails to, now finally, cut them. I made them into sharp points instead of cuting them normally. It was like I knew what was going to happen. My hair fell down in front of my face as I bent down to sweep the nails under my mattress before I heard the door of my room unlock. The voice of my father filled the air, no mercy. His screams and yells made my ears ring until I slowly stood, picking up the bags with my left hand, hanging one from my shoulder and clenching onyo the other. "What are you doing with my bag!?" He yelled as I turned around to him. I grit my teeth and tilted my head before fagging my nails into his chest. "I'm leaving father, I'm done here." I said as I felt his warm blood slowly drip down my hands.

The last thing I remembered was pulling out all the money I could find from my mother's purse before making my way out and running down the street with my mother's cries and screams in the background. I was free, I was going away and never looking back. I spend that evening in some sort of internet cafe were I quickly found a place where I could stay. The adress of Hotel Cortez was the first and best option. There were no pictures, nor did they have a website only the adress was there. I wrote it down on a piece of paper before leaving. I stopped by a store to buy some decent clothes like a comfortable dress and jumpsuit and some black opera gloves to cover my nails but they also looked very gorgeous. I changed into the dress and the gloves and was able to catch a cab, I stepped in and there I went.

My hair was already soaking wet as I stood on top of the set of stairs, I sighed as the door slowly opened up. "What the." I slowly walked in and looked around the cold lobby. "Strange.." I mumbled before the door closed itself behind me and I walked to the desk. Upon the desk stood a small bell, I rang it and a man walking in. "Welcome to Hotel Cortez, here is your key. Enjoy your stay." He handed me a key before leaving. I frowned and looked down at the key. "Well that was quick." You shrugged before shoving it down your glove and looking up before around. Another door opened up and I mindlessly walked in, it was a barely lit bar. The vibes of the room made me swallow hard but I ended up with a smirk on my face as I sat down, this place was as strange as me.