[2] How unlucky.

[2] How unlucky.

The cold wind brushed past his face and whisked the brown strands hair into his face as he solemnly trudged down the sodden plain courtyard, delivering himself to the lesson that he was already tardy for.

Music always used to be the lesson that he enjoyed most. He always used to get there early as he was eager to do the thing he loved. This became more common as the audition that he was prepping himself for dawned ever closer. Whenever he had spare time, he would be found in the music department.

You would find him there at lunch, looking through mixing tracks and learning lyrics while he ate whatever he had prepared the night before. He was wasting none of his precious time queuing up in the monstrosity that was the lunch time line.

You would find him lingering in the sound room before school; evidence that he had eaten his breakfast while setting up would be set on whatever surface he used as a table on the particular day. He would even be there after school, sending out a pre-planned meal order as the musical interlude played on. He would practically be there until someone made him leave.

The point is anytime that you went into the music room you'd find him singing the audition song that he decided on; Hey there Delilah.

However, the day that was supposed to change his life for the better, didn't go according to the plan that he set himself. It was meant to play out like this: Louis would get there early so that he had chance to get one practice in and prep himself, he would sing the song that he learnt in side out and back to front, and he would get four solid yes' from the panel of famous judges.

But just because he had taken some of his precious time to plan every specific detail out didn't mean that the universe was going to go along with it and make sure everything ran smoothly, because the polar opposite happened. Nothing that he had scheduled went to plan.

His shoes scuffled the water drenched paving slabs, kicking up the tiny droplets of water that flew off his worn away shoes as he tried to do anything that would take his mind off that day.

It was unlike him, but he decided not to make an appearance at his class today, instead he headed to the place that he had been visiting frequently since he lost his ambition to do anything and wanted to give his mind sanctuary from that fateful morning.

For Louis, that refuge of a place was the roof top.

You might think that it is slightly cliché, but it is not like the magical roof top in High School Musical where everything is bright and happy and it is like its own miniature jungle, without all of the dangers of course.

Louis' roof top was nothing of the sort. The roof top was barren; it was a dull cement wasteland apart from various metallic, rust infested pipes and vents that cracked through the surface of the roof every couple of meters.

It was one of the only places that can be found to be empty within the school grounds because no one is ever up here because only the janitor has the key. Fortunately for Louis, the janitor is that much of an imbecile that he either does one of three things; leaves the key in the lock, leaves the key on the lamp next to the lock of Louis' personal favourite, forgets to lock the door.

Today, the brass key was swaying softly in the lock, the damaged paper that used to say 'roof' but now can only be read as 'oof' was floating due to the small draft that was rising up from the gap beneath the ill fitting door.

All he had to do to enter was turn the cool metal ninety degrees to the rights and he wouldn't have even had to push the wonky door, not that he would want to anyway, it looked like you could get dozens of splinters just by looking at it for too long. Fortunately, you didn't.