Chapter 38

She slammed my door rather loudly behind her, making me jump a little in shock. What a bitch. Maybe I should go with them to the beach? I shook my head at myself. I'd just be trailing behind them awkwardly as a third wheel while they talked about memories they'd made that didn't include me.

I lay down flat on my bed like a starfish, with my arms and legs stretched out. I sighed deeply and grabbed my phone, texting Lea. Thank goodness she answered immediately.

She sent back "Yes! And Martin's? You got some explaining to do darlin."

I laughed and felt a little better. There was a knock on my door and I yelled "Who is it?" If it was Alayna there was no way I was letting her in. "It's Martin!" I sighed in relief. "Come in."

He opened the door and stood in the doorway until I sat up to look at him. "Are you sure you don't wanna come to the beach with us?" I nodded. "I'm good here. Lea's coming over soon." Martin nodded slowly. "Okay. We'll be back in an hour or so, I guess. See ya."

Lea came over about a half an hour later and we hung out for a few hours. She had to go to work, so she couldn't stay as long, but we got caught up and I told her about getting my job back and stuff.

Martin and Alayna got back much later than I thought they were, since Martin said an hour, and they didn't get back for 3. I basically ignored them and ate dinner in my bedroom.

Then I heard them talking outside my door, probably because they were looking out the big window at the city. "So where are you staying right now?" That was Martin.

"A hotel, ugh. I can't stand hotels. You're lucky you've got an apartment, even if you have to share it with that girl, Cleo." I frowned, hearing her talk about me like that to Martin. I wasn't expecting him to defend me, but for some reason, he did.

"Just so you know, her name is Chloe, and I don't mind sharing an apartment with her at all. But that would suck to have to sleep in a hotel for a week. Why don't you stay with us tonight? Chloe can sleep in my bed and you can use hers. I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

I made an indignant face at the door, then realized he'd rather sleep with me than with her. I can see why. She's horrible. I don't understand how they were friends. It's weird though, because he'd always telling me about Julian and all his other producing school friends, even girls, but he never talked about her.

I dismissed this thought and decided to leave my room in front of them before they could plan anything else without me. "Oh, there you are, Chloe. I'm sorry, we'd thought you'd gone out. Um, so Layna's staying overnight, so if you want to sleep with m-"

Alayna abruptly cut him off. "You can sleep in your bed and I'll just share with Martin!" She turned to him and nodded, "Then she doesn't have to be troubled by me being here." I raised my eyebrows a little, but nodded.

I was just about to go to the kitchen when Martin asked if I wanted to watch a movie with them. I contemplated saying no, but then saw the smirk on Alayna's face. "I'd love to."

She immediately frowned, then smiled innocently and said with sarcasm dripping from her voice, "Oh, good. Cleo, I'll help you get food while Martin does the DVD." I decided to not give her the satisfaction of correcting my name, so I said nothing, and she seemed a little surprised. Good.

As soon as we got into the kitchen, she started talking. "So what kind of relationship do you and Martin have?" I decided it was wise to lie. "We're good friends, I guess, cause we've basically seen each other every day all summer." She smirked at me. "Just friends? Good. Because if you hadn't noticed, we're more than friends."