J O N A H

"This should be fun! I'm so glad you could spend time back in Stillwater, sweetie." Your mom says as you sit down. The town's annual Fourth of July party was taking place.

"That isn't it. I have been in New York for six years nearly. Now that we're back in Minnesota, I just feel like people will treat me differently. Like always." You say with a sigh. "But nonetheless, I'll have fun tonight. I'm back in Stillwater, at my favorite lake, with you, mom!"

"Okay, Y/N, how about we get some food?" Your mom says.

After the filling BBQ, you walk over to a small gazebo at the end of the pier with fairy lights around it. It was your favorite spot to sit and think when you were younger. But someone is sitting there already...

"Excuse me?" You say tapping a tall shadow.

"I'm sorry, what?" The shadow's face came to light. His brown hair was a bit messy, but overall, his piercing green eyes stood out. Something about him seemed so familiar.

"Oh, sorry. Uh, I didn't know anyone else sat here." You laugh at yourself.

"Well, I do. I like to sit here--" He began. "And think." You said together, at the same time.

You laugh and he lets you sit down next to him.

"You seems so familiar." You say. You are lost in his eyes and try to put your finger on why he looks so damn familiar.

"I was just about to say that...Wait.... Y/N! How could I forget such a pretty girl?" He chuckled.

You blush, finally remembering him. "Jonah?"

"Oh my gosh! Yeah! Did puberty change me that much in freshman year?" He laughed.

"Maybe so...but, truly, you were the only kind kid to me in the sixth grade. Jonah, you were my best friend. I was going through my parents' divorce and rumors were spread about me. You would always walk with me to my bus stop while you went home." You say sincerely.

"Yeah, I remember that. And we used to play at the lake sometimes! But you moved." He says.

"Yeah, I had to move to New York with my dad. My mom visited. I came here maybe two times in those six years for a day." You frowned.

"I'm glad you're back." Jonah smiled. "Can I confess something to you, Y/N?"

"Sure. I mean, we haven't seen each other in years, so..."

"The main reason I was nice to you in elementary is because I had the biggest crush on you. This is going to sound stupid, but when you moved away, I didn't go to school the next day. And I went to your mom, hoping you would come right back. I came to your house for the next two weeks, hoping to ride bikes or skateboard. But you were gone." He hid his face.

"Jonah, that's so sweet. I didn't really think about crushes back then, but I will say that you were the only reason I came to school everyday. I liked to hear your stories about chickens." You giggle.

"Hey, Y/N, you're still beautiful as ever." Jonah holds your hand and you scooch closer to him.

"And you're still so kind. Maybe that's what made me remember you."

"Y/N, I am visiting from Los Angeles. I just think you should know that. In case--" You stop Jonah.

"I'm going to USC in the fall!"

"What? THAT'S AMAZING!" He smiled and gives you a big hug.

"Yeah. Just think you should know that. In case..."

"In case what? Y/N, I'm never letting you move away from me again." Jonah grinned and together, you watch the fireworks go off.