Chapter Seven

"Hey Kitty-Kat!" Brad said when I walked into science the next morning. I tipped my chin at him and took my seat in the middle of the room. Looking around, I felt like I'd been blind for the entirety of High School.

Before, I'd only really noticed the Orchestra kids. Those of us in the class always stuck together and worked together. But now? Now, I was really seeing all the other students. And I was smiling at them because for once it felt like there wasn't anything separating us.

Because despite everything, we were all the same. That was the way the rest of the school day went - with me finally acknowledging people that I didn't even realize were there

•~•~•~•~•~•

I had one plan after school, and I was going to make it work. I wanted to find out everything I could about Declan Burns.

Candy Madigan was the school gossip, and despite being in the drama program, she knew everything about everyone. She was also the school flirt. If there was a guy in the room, it was guaranteed that Candy had hit on him, if not slept with him.

Personally, I was a bit scared of her - with her purple lipstick and dark eye shadow. She was gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but intimidating and a little devious.

I approached her after eighth period, my heart beat thumping in my ears as I headed toward her bright blond hair. She was surrounded by a gaggle of girls and the arm of a guy, Tony Malone, was draped across her shoulders.

"Candy?" I said, and she spun to face me, her dull brown eyes fixating on me and giving me a once over.

"Well if it isn't Miss Popularity in the flesh!" She laughed, rolling her eyes. "Since when do Orchestra folks interact with the likes of us?" Some of the other girls laughed along but I ignored the sting.

"I'm in need of your services," I said carefully.

"What?" she snapped, "You want to know if the Orchestra geek you're dating, and planning in making pretty musically gifted babies with, is cheating on you?" I had to say, she belonged in the Drama Department for sure.

"I don't have a boyfriend, Candy," I gritted out.

"Oh, of course you don't. Little Miss Perfect couldn't keep a guy interested. You're probably still a virgin, right Katy?"

"Suck it, Candy," I growled, and then smirked, feeling viscous. "But, I guess you do that on a daily basis, huh?"

"You bitch! At least I'm getting some."

"Look, I'm really not here to fight. I just want to know what you know about Declan Burns." The scowl on Candy's face deepened significantly.

"Declan Burns," she spat, saying the name like it scorched her, "thinks he's too good for the girls at this school. He's one of those guys that believes in true love and shit," she continued angrily.

"And?"

"And what, Princess? I doubt you of all people would be enough for him." Even though she said this, I could hear the truth behind her words. She wasn't enough for him.

"I guess you're right," I sighed, tired of Candy and her attitude. She gave me a sympathetic smile, slightly snarky but almost genuine.

"And don't forget, Katy, if the orchestra peeps hear that you're shacking up with the enemy? Well, that's social suicide."

She was right.

"I'm not shacking up with him."

I wasn't sure I ever would.