Day 6; khr

Monday mornings were a pain in the ass, to say the least. Getting out of bed was a chore, and the thought of starting another stressful week was terrifying. The clock read 5:30 AM, which was really early. I had gifted myself with sleeping early last night, around 8:45 PM.

But the stress and paranoia was already starting to settle into my head as I struggled to force myself out of bed. Mocha then suddenly came scrambling into my room, barking excitedly.

I groaned as she pounced onto my bed, snuggling on my stomach. I patted her head affectionately, before giving her a quick kiss on the top of her head. I gently lifted her up and then set her down on my pillow. She whimpered slightly,  but soon curled up and buried herself into my pillow. I giggled at her behavior before changing into a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants. Slipping on a winter coat and boots, I wrapped a scarf around my neck and went on a walk to clear my mind.

I made sure the door was shut rather tightly before leaving, since I didn't want any dogs sneaking out and getting lost. The shelter was big enough for them to run around and play in, so walks were rarely never necessary.

It was late December, meaning winter was soon to be over. Thin blankets of snow still covered the ground, but the brisk and frigid weather was definitely warming up. I trudged through the snow leaving small footsteps in my wake, as snowflakes settled themselves into my hair and eyelashes. I exhaled quickly, puffing a quick cloud of white in the cold air.

Mina had met Jungkook yesterday, got a picture and her phone case signed. She was squealing in joy and said 'thank you' at least a million times to me. All I really did was call her over to the shelter for a 'surprise.'

I pursed my lips as I ran my tongue over them, trying to get moisture back into my dry and chapped lips. Shoving my numb hands into my pockets in a desperate attempt to warm them up, I shivered. With a hasty sigh escaping my mouth, I turned around, deciding it was better to head back to the shelter soon.

On the walk back, I couldn't help but wonder how this happened. I thought life was so simple back then, when Wildflower Shelter was young and new. Who would've thought that one of the most successful shelters would begin to fail and eventually break down? The idea of what it is now was unthinkable back then, with people swarming in and out of the shelter searching for an animal companion.

Gazing at my feet absentmindedly as I saw my boots move and sink into the snow with each step, I had subconsciously clenched my hands into fists. And by the time I had noticed, I was standing before the door of the shelter I had came to call home. As my hands relaxed in my coat pockets, I heaved another sigh and-

"BOO!"

My whole body stiffened as I flinched and jumped back instinctively, a small scream escaping my mouth. I huffed and placed a hand over my heart after turning around. Expecting to see Jungkook, I said, "Jungkook, that's not-" I stopped when I saw who it was, because it sure as hell wasn't Jungkook.

"Who's that?"

"EH? ONII-CHAN?!" I exclaimed, coming face to face with my brother, Kim Sejun.

"AISH! I TOLD YOU TO STOP CALLING ME THAT! FOR THE LAST TIME YOU'RE KOREAN NOT JAPANESE!" He said, flicking my forehead.

"SHADDUP!" I retorted, sticking out my tongue and rubbing my forehead, " I'LL CALL YOU WHATEVER I WANT."

My brother rolled his eyes and chuckled, placing a hand on top of my head as I glared upwards at him. He was tall. Like, really tall. I was only around 169 cm (~5'5) whereas my brother towered above me with his height of 182 cm (~5'9). Growing up short with a brother who was pretty much a skyscraper compared to you who was a year older consisted of a lot of snarky comments about my height, him holding things out of my reach, and mockingly leaning down farther than necessary to talk to me.