Chapter One

The sun reflected off the shallow turquoise water like a mirror as the soft waves broke against the shore. The cool autumn air swirled around the beach while gently blowing the grass on the cliffs that formed not far from the water. Elizabeth sat on the soft golden sand gently running the tips of her fingers over the grains, her long brunette hair flowing freely as she looked out over the scenery. A small smile spread across her face as she took in all of the nature that surrounded her. The sweet sound of laughter filled the air as she watched her two children run around the nearly deserted beach. "He should be here," she thought to herself as she looked up the blue grey sky.

Her thoughts left as quickly as they came as she heard the sound of screaming coming from the beach. She quickly snapped her head back in the direction of her two daughters who had been playing on the waters edge. She chuckled slightly to herself as she saw a large black dog running full speed towards the children. She stood up and dusted the sand off the bottom on her jeans and quickly moved towards her daughters and the dog who was now excitedly running in circles while dragging his leash behind him.

"Hey boy," she said as she bent down on her knees as her eldest daughter crouched behind her, "where is your human?" She asked as she looked around. She was swiftly met with a wet nose on the side of her face as the fluffy dog eagerly gave her a kiss, knocking her over into the sand. "Well aren't you friendly?"

"Kal!" A deep voice yelled from the steps leading down onto the beach. He picked up his pace to a jog as he watched his dog jumping excitedly at the two little girls. "I'm so sorry," he said as he got closer. "I must apologize for my dog. Let me help you up," he extended a hand to Elizabeth. Her eldest daughter still hiding behind her legs.

Elizabeth brushed the sand off of her knees and rubbed it off her hands, "I think we are going to survive this one," she gestured to her daughter.

"I'm so sorry, he just took off as soon as he got out of the car. I hope he didn't frighten her too badly. My phone fell out of pocket as I was getting out and I tried to grab it and his lead at the same time," he stammered as he held up a scuffed and cracked phone, "didn't really work out so well." He moved the hood on his sweatshirt away from his face and stuffed his phone back in his pocket. "I'm very sorry my doggie scared you little lady," he said turning his attention to the girl. She peeked out from behind Elizabeth and looked up at the man. "I don't like dogs," she stated mater of fact.

"Well I can assure you, he's a very nice boy," he said as grabbed the leash pulling the dog back towards him.

"We're working on manners," Elizabeth said with a smile.

"You seem to have your hands full here," he said as he looked at the two little blondes who were back to playing in the sand.

"I'd say the same for you," she laughed at the dog who was now fighting the urge to take off after some birds that had landed on the beach.

"We're working on manners," he retorted, a grin creeping over his face. "Speaking of manners, I'm Henry," he said as he stuck out his spare hand.

"Elizabeth. The rude one is Grace, and the little one is Riley," she pointed out her kids while shaking his hand. "We're just here with friends," she said and she looked up at his face. His blue eyes sparkled like the water, "on a little vacation, they're not here on the beach, I mean, why am I still talking again?" She questioned a loud as she continued to get lost in his rugged facial features.  His dark brown hair matching his scruffy facial features.

"Well we just came down here for a little jog before dinner," he motioned towards his dog. "I'll go the other way. Don't want to scare anymore children today. It was nice meeting you Elizabeth On Vacation. It's a small island, maybe I'll see you again before you leave."