SIX: Headhunters

Saga stopped at a short walk from the camp of Slanna An Breanna kin—a regular distance for the ones who arrived with peaceful dealings—inviting her companion, Wrenwen, to stop too. Already noticed by the camp inhabitants, both waited for the Breanna men to come out to them and talk. It was the twelfth Danna camp they visited so far, and she still walked with a sole Rawani kid, with no other man or woman yet to join them besides those of their own who remained waiting at Alva's hold. The quiet Rawani kid at her side was a former soldier who had some experience in the last war and Saga personally tested his mettle and combat prowess with a sword and an axe. He was good, as were most of the mixed blood in them, though he wasn't without his issues. Severely wounded in war, Wrenwen ended up in Firwan Og during the retreat along with his other countrymen. Having no surviving family of his own on the Rawani side and settling things with his Danna relatives, he entered the Slanna An Farga tribe—one of the hunters named him her male companion, father to her children. So far Saga only observed his condition. When the time comes, she will confront him about it, yet his earnestness to help gained him a soft spot in Saga's heart.

The large, bare-chested warrior in a metalsmith's apron and with a fiery mane of wavy hair who arrived to greet them was Ilada's father himself. Saga couldn't hold her grin, liking where this was going.

"I see the rumors of my... endeavor travel faster than I do, Fenrenn," she said instead of a greeting.

He smiled knowingly and growled in his deep, low voice, "My eldest insisted you need an experienced head-cutter. She can't go herself, having some tough Head's business to sort out this time—you know how she does things. So here I am." His eyes were on the sole Rawani. "That it? I expected to see at least a Danna. Cowards."

Saga shrugged. "More of ours are waiting at home. But I don't blame anyone from other camps. Everyone's wary. Too many enemies and it honestly is a single tribe's affair, after all. Though, admittedly, I'm getting tired of spending the whole night-winter and now summer on this with no avail."

"There are Breanna men who feel there are not enough heads to cut," Fenrenn said, rubbing his luxurious red beard. "And even a few of our Rawani. I've already been approached about this, just before you two arrived here. But you need more people than that, right?"

"Absolutely. Alva and one of the crews will give us some support once we gather enough blades for the task."

"Ah, yes. Alva. This is good. Well then, rumors are rumors, but I want to hear the full story. Come to our dwelling and rest, and tell me how you plan to walk the whole country filled with enemies in search of one single man." Fenrenn turned around and headed back to the camp, inviting them to follow.

"So that's the rumors? No wonder people are playing hard to get. But we don't need to search all over Rawan—that's the easy part, again thanks to Alva. Yet that journey will still be a tough one. A clot of blood was harvested from the spot of Teran's capture, so we had something to work with. Otherwise we'd be stuck with several teams for scouting jobs and immense searching times. None of us are as sensitive as Teran and those with familial bonds would have needed to get close to sense him. And not many of those people are... combat-ready. Thanks to the blood link we can skip these pleasantries."

"Just don't mistake my questions for indecisiveness, Saga. I'm definitely going with you. I'm all in favor of this... campaign. Especially when Alva's fancy toys are involved. Ever since the invention of those radio comms... beacons... among other things the world sure changed during my time. I feel old, I need some action. I see you do the asking the old way, in person, as well."

"Our world is both old and young. Things change, just not as fast as inventions pop up. You've lived a decently long life, though not as long as Alva had." Saga laughed. "I prefer seeing face to face... arm to arm. It is something that needs to be done this way. And do me justice, Fenrenn! I never doubt a Breanna tribesman when a prospect for wreaking havoc presents itself."