TWENTY-ONE: Wayfarer

Both sweaty and breathing hard from a lengthy sparring, Yaren reached out to Torewen who sat on the ground, rubbing his jaw. Other Rawani and the Danna had gathered over the fire, accompanying their fight with encouraging shouts. Those with healed wounds also participated in regular training, but they were still a far cry from resembling a horde, even under Torewen's command.

"Do you really need a sword, Majesty?" The soldier laughed, accepting Yaren's helping hand, rose to his feet and picked up his sword from the snow. "You're much more terrifying with your fists." Torewen's arm almost completely healed so he felt a bit rusty and in need of movement, as he had stated.

"I still can't get used to this sahasa the Danna women gave me." Yaren looked at the weapon in his hand, now sheathed. "It's too fetching to be used in such a barbaric way." He easily balanced the sheathed sword on his fingers. "But, everything is and should be a weapon in this world... beautiful, or not. So I can relate to this Danna way of thinking. If you want to make something bleed, do it with style."

The rainguard, pommel and scabbard were decorated with intricate engravings and vitreous enamel on silver base that changed colors from deep shades of purple to indigo to sky blue and cyan, and embossed with gold. The grip of the hilt and the hand guard were also gilded.

"These patterns, they remind me of something I had seen when I was a boy," Yaren said, feeling the engravings with his thumb. "At the Silent Ruins." He shifted his gaze to Torewen. "As a former Royal soldier, I'm sure you are familiar with the place."

"Indeed I am," the man replied. "The patterns do resemble the ones carved in ancient stones. Whoever created those huge structures were quite advanced builders. Unfortunately, nothing is known about the Creators. Perhaps the Danna know something, since they utilize similar designs as a decoration."

"They make these swords, but they don't build stone megacities. Something you can easily carry with you and something to leave behind... Maybe the ones we call Creators still exist and we don't see them because they have—changed."

Every Danna leader had one, including his aunt and the Bloodsoother Alva, so it wasn't a rarity. It was considered jewelry, a symbol of status within the community instead of a weapon, mostly because any Danna could kill with bare hands. Their actual weapons were usually only for hunting, though their combat counterparts never got rusty either.

"I'm not an expert on ancient architecture or cultures, Majesty, but sahasa is as deadly as it is beautiful. You shouldn't be worried about breaking it. There's a reason they call it a sword-crusher. The dark steel blades are renowned for having a good cutting edge, while not being so hard they would break in battle when struck, even with their own. Deeplander steel was known to break in contact with it, before they somehow acquired the secret."

"Ah so." Yaren slightly pulled out part of the blade from its hiding again.

Sahasa, a short double-edged straight Danna sword with a groove, central ridge and very sharp point, most used for thrusting or stabbing. The dark steel of the blade had an attractive pattern of microstructures, which were visible to the naked eye. Saga and Alva gave him this sword, which formerly belonged to his grandfather, before they all set out for the Festival grounds. Teran didn't want it, though he was upset about losing his inherited compass, so the sword was put away until the need for it arrived again.

"There's one thing you should know, brother." Teran was approaching them. "Sahasa is drawn to draw blood, whether to connect or divide people. As the current owner you can do however you like with your gift, even use it as a butcher's knife, but be careful during the Festival and beyond. Wherever you go, you will be tested whether you are worthy to carry one."