CHAPTER SIX - The Opal

"Mom, have you seen my pants!?"

"Which one?!"

"The one that I'm going to wear tomorrow!"

"Have you looked under the hanged suit that you also going to wear tomorrow?!"

Youngjae wrinkled his forehead finding it absurd that he didn't look at the obvious place first. And as everybody knew, mothers can find almost anything in a household.

"Love you, mom!"

He heard someone knock on his bedroom door and without waiting for him to reply, the person opened the door. Youngjae grinned brightly seeing her.

"Why bother knocking when you didn't ask if you can enter, mom?"

His mother only rolled her eyes back as she placed the late of fruits on Youngjae's study table. As usual, the place was a mess. "Why should I ask permission to enter my son's room."

"What if I'm naked?!"

"I've seen you naked since you came out from my womb!"

"That's different, I'm a grown man." Youngjae laughed aloud, feeling lighthearted than he supposed to.

"Yet you still act like a baby."

His mother was sitting on his messy bed while Youngjae was back and forth organizing the stuff he needed to bring for his important day tomorrow. Mrs. Choi pierced a slice of the fruit and gave it to him Noticing that, Youngjae only hummed as he opened his mouth to be spoonfed. 

Watching his son, she continued talking.

"You know, father already warned us to not shout in the house." 

"But he isn't here is he?"

"You sneaky brat."

Youngjae laughed again and after confirming that everything was in check, he joined in to sit with his mother. Though he smoothly landed his head on her lap. Already used to his clingy attitude, the mother just stroke his curly hair gently.

"I wanted to ask if you're ready tomorrow, but I know you're not."

Youngjae hummed, liking the warmth and the soft rubs on top of his head. His preparation day tired him out that he lacked sleep. He was about to drift towards dreamland, not until his mother mentioned her name.

"Overall, Youngji would be proud."

Youngjae sighed, as he sat up straight. He then saw his mother's eyes had been staring at the small frame just beside the plate of fruits all this while.

A picture of her two children, smiling as bright as the Sun during Youngjae's college graduation ceremony.

"I'm doing this for her after all." He murmured softly, gazing at the photo. The mother then pulled his son's hands towards her and enclasped them tightly.