Chapter 2: Reflections, Kids Games, Time Out and Sorrow

Two earth weeks had passed since Breeze Burst had been introduced to the Autobots. It didn't take long for the Autobots to figure out that Breeze Burst was extremely shy. When Optimus tried to introduce her to the other Autobots, by gathering them all into a room, the poor thing began shaking and nearly burst into tears for the fourth time that solar cycle. Since then all the Autobots had made sure to be careful when trying to get to know the little sparkling.

Even the humans scared her. When she met Spike and Spark-plug for the first time, she screamed and ran away from them. She still hasn't really gotten used to seeing them. Prowl reflected on the last two weeks as he sat in his office going over datapads. Prime's orders for watching Breeze being a group effort appeared to have gone out the window because Breeze Burst seemed to only want to be around Prowl.

Everywhere Prowl went, Breeze followed closely behind.The only other person she seemed to like being around was Jazz. That wasn't all that surprising, Jazz could make friends with anyone and he was with Prowl when they found her. But she wanted to be around Prowl most of the time. Even when he was working on datapads, Breeze would come in and sit with him. In fact, she at one point mistook Bluestreak for Prowl and proceeded to follow him around for the solar cycle. Bluestreak didn't even realise she was following him until someone pointed it out. When Breeze Burst realised that Bluestreak wasn't Prowl, she made a face that Mirage described as; "Looking as though you kicked her pet." and Bluestreak had to bring the little sparkling to Prowl so she would calm down.

Prowl found this odd, most sparklings were full of energy and loved running around. But Breeze Burst didn't like to make her presence known. That didn't mean she didn't like playing. Prowl had caught a few quick sights of her and Jazz playing little games together with some human toys that Spike had bought for her. But she seemed content with just sitting quietly on Prowl's lap watching him go over datapads. This utterly stumped Prowl. He had no idea why she was so attached to him.

The other Autobots thought it was adorable. Spike had mused that Breeze's habit of following Prowl was akin to a duckling. When Prowl questioned what he meant by that, Spike explained. "When ducklings hatch from their eggs they assume the first thing they see is their mother and they follow it around." Prowl was embarrassed by this comparison. He was no duck.

Breeze was no duckling. Her thinking of Prowl as a parent? That seemed unlikely to him. She just lost her creators, there is no way she thought of him that way. To him at least. But the parallels were there. Breeze followed him everywhere, she came to him when she needed something, she hid behind him when she was scared and she quietly watched him while he worked. Prowl shook his helm, pushing these thoughts out of his processor.

Breeze Burst didn't think of him as a parent. The likely explanation was that since he was the one that got the rock off her and comforted her, she thought of him as the safest mech to go to. Prowl didn't pause his work when he heard the sound of his office door sliding open. He only stopped when he heard the familiar sound of little peds walking around his desk. As he suspected, when he turned and looked down, he was met with the familiar face of Breeze Burst staring up at him.

"Breeze Burst, I thought you were playing with Jazz?" He asked softly. "Was. Wanted to watch you." She then lifted her arms up and proceed to make "grabby-hands" with her little servos. Then that strange feeling came back again. Leaning down Prowl gently picked up Breeze and sat her in his lap. He'd become slightly used to this little routine of theirs. Breeze would go off, play by herself or with Jazz, then she'd come into his office, sit on his lap and watch him work.

Still, he would admit that he found the routine a little strange. "Don't you like playing with Jazz, Breeze?" Prowl looked down at her. "I will be working for a while to solar cycle, don't you think that is boring?" Breeze looked up at Prowl and shook her helm. "Uh-uh, I wike watching you read." She paused and giggled. "You make funny faces when you do!" She pointed up at his face to emphasize her statement.