Fennel, Bronze

Fennel is a flowering plant species in the carrot family. It is a hardy, perennial herb with yellow flowers and feathering leaves. Fennel is an excellent source of vitamin C. It is also very good in dietary fiber, potassium, molybdenum, manganese, copper, phosphorus, and folate. In addition, fennel is a good source of calcium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, iron, and niacin.

-Different Types of Fennel-

There are two types of fennel. One is treated as an herb (Herb Fennel- Foeniculum Vulgare) and one that is treated as a bulb type vegetable (Florence Fennel or Finocchio- Foeniculum Vulgare Var. Dulce). The herb type grows 3-5 feet tall with a finely textured foliage resembling dill. 

-Fennel Uses-

It is native to the Mediterranea but is now found throughout the world. Dried fennel seeds are often used in cooking as anise-flavored spices. Fennels is used for various digestive problems including heartburn, intestinal gas, bloating loss of appetite, and colic in infants.

-Poisonous Fennel-

Many species n the family Apiaceae of Umbelliferae are superficially similar to fennel, and some, such as poison hemlock, or toxic, so it is unwise, and potentially extremely dangerous to use any of these plants as an herb or vegetable unless it can positively identify as being edible.

-Fennel tea-

The essential oil of Fennel contains estrogen, which inhibits muscles spasms, allowing you to digest more easily, it even relieves hiccups. Its aromatic and carminative properties are an excellent ally to treat flatulence, diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps, which are also symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

-Fennel Seed Tea Recipe-

1. Take 1 teaspoon of dried Fennel seeds per cup of tea and pour hot water over it.

2. Make sure you do not boil the Fennel seeds as this will kill most of its nutrients.

3. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes and then drink it 3 times a day. You will get a light yellow infusion.

4. The best time to take the tea is after meals to help treat your digestion problems and it's sweet taste, much similar to that of licorice, can serve as a wonderful dinner treat.