Chapter Six - Don't turn back

Hello everyone! Quick authors note before you read- I am coming out of the shadows spontaneously and giving you this chapter as I had an inkling to write this story again and as of today I've written a lot more and now have some plans for the future of this story which I'm extremely excited about. There was a lot on my mind, and I'm so so sorry it took so long to get this out. Thank you all for your love and support :) ♡♡

( Also if any of you want updates on when I'm going to post, or I might need your advice, give me a follow and you'll get notified when I give updates )

Neal bursts open the door to the apartment. Everything of Daphne's was gone. Moz was sat on the couch, a glass of wine in hand.

"Did you see her, Moz?"

He shakes his head, clearly tipsy. "Just got here." He stands up. "I was confused too."

"She's a criminal."

Moz lets out a laugh. "I told you."

"You didn't tell me anything. You thought she was a mass murderer. She's just a thief. And a con." He mumbles the last part.

"Oh. So you're perfect for each other."

Neal shakes his head. "This is serious, Moz. I really liked her. And now for all I know she's in outer space."

"Come on, she can't be that far."

Neal pulls out his phone and dials Peter's number. It rings and Peter promptly answers.

"She's gone, Peter."

"I didn't expect anything else. Just come in tomorrow, take the rest of the day off, Neal. I don't want you distracted here."

"I'm not distracted."

"Neal."

"I'll stay here, It's fine."

You could almost hear Peter not believe him as Neal hung up.

June walks in. "Neal," she says. Neal turns around.

June hands him a phone that had the looks of a 20$ one from a drug store. He takes it, the outcome already in mind.

"Is this-"

"She gave it to me just before she ran." She pauses, staring at the phone as if thinking of what happened when she left. "She's not a criminal, Neal."

Neal clutches the phone, looking at it. "Thank you."

June nods, walking out. Neal opens the phone, seeing the number. He immediately calls it, and begins pacing.

--

Daphne was sitting in a car, parked about 45 miles away from where Neal was. She sat staring at the phone, until she saw it light up with the number of the phone she gave June. She took a deep breath and slowly opened the phone, putting it up to her ear.

She says quietly, "Neal?"

"Lilly?"

She swallows. Silence fills the line.

"Daphne?"

She exhales. "Hi, Neal."

He hesitates. "Why didn't you tell me?" He states this full well knowing the answer.

"Neal, I'm really sorry-"

Neal's emotion and clouded judgement come into play as he says, "you lied to me, about all of it? The only reason you were okay with me being a criminal is because you're just like me."