My Summer in Greenville: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

After we thanked Mason and his mother again for their help, Luke and I went back to the truck.

"Well that was pretty close to no help," Luke said as he climbed into the driver's side of his truck.

"Not exactly," I said before I could think about what I said.

"What do you mean?" Luke questioned. Oops.

"You have to promise not to get mad, okay?"

"I promise, Alexia. What is it?" he asked, hopefully.

"I think that I might be the reason that Logan ran away," I whispered in hopes that he didn't hear me say anything.

"Wait, what? How?" he asked, shocked.

"I think that Logan likes me. Tiffany does, as well. And, well, I said something to him right before he ran away and Tiff said that I completely friend zoned him and I feel really, truly terrible about it because he's an amazing person and my oldest friend and I do love him, just not like that. I can't love him like that because..." I trailed off before I could say something I would regret.

"Why? Why can't you love my brother like that?" he asked, curiosity clear in his eyes.

"I can't love him because I'm still in love with you," I said, truthfully.

"Alexia..." Luke uttered.

"I know, I know. You're so close to Tiff that the two of you are practically dating and I would never do anything to get between you two but I can't help how I feel," I admitted. It honestly felt really good to tell him how I feel. It wasn't even that difficult to say. The silence that ensued directly after was probably the most difficult part.

"Uhm... Luke? It would really help if you could say something right about now," I said, expectantly.

"Alexia, I love you too," he said¸ looking me in the eye.

He-Wait... What?! Did Luke seriously just say that he loves me too?! OH MY GOODNESS!!!! He actually said that he loved me! I don't believe this! This is so amazing I-

"Just not like that," He continued.

Oh. Ooh. Not like that. Well that hurt just a little bit.

"I'm so sorry. I really do care about you but you're like my baby sister and you always have been. I would never do anything to hurt you in any way but," he paused for a moment. "I can't lead you on. It's just not fair to you. I'm sorry."

"Don't be," I answered. "I get it. I really do. Things change and I guess I kinda deserve this in a way."

"Don't say that. I'm not doing this to avenge Logan or anything. I swear it's the truth." Luke said, sympathy dripping from his mouth.

"I know. We should probably get back now," I said, looking down at my hands.

"Yeah," he agreed, turning the car on. We both remained silent for the rest of the ride. When we got back to the house, Luke and I both headed to our rooms.

"Hey Luke," I said as he passed me to get to his room in the attic.

"Yeah?"

"Your mom is starting to get kinda worried. Maybe you and Logan should try to talk when everyone gets back. For their sakes," I suggested.

"I'll see what I can do," he said and continued to his room. Then, I went into my room, closed the door, told Tiff that it was safe to come back and went to my bed for a nap. It had been a long day.

When I woke up later, Tiff was sitting on her bed and scrolling through her phone. She glanced up at me and noticed I was awake.

"Hey," she said.