Chapter 14

Chapter 14

An unlocked door. A loaded shotgun. A tough bird named Irene Mae Norwood. A home cooked pork roast and a funeral for Hayseed the pig. The barrage of incomprehensible events that collided with Alex and Boomer within the last our of their lives left her head swimming.

She let her fork slide into the tender meat and felt her saliva pool at the corner of her mouth. It has been quite awhile since she had a home cooked meal, something worth all the gold in the world at this moment in time.

Boomer lay sprawled across the couch with his own plate on his chest, devouring every last bite within a mere five minutes, race between his appetite and his ability to chew. Alex watched the sauce and the bits of food land effortlessly on his shirt as he attacked his meal. A mighty burp and a small pause was all that came from Boomer.

Alex looked down and realized she was just as bad, her meal vanished in a matter of minutes and her clothes too were stained with evidence of ill manners.  Embarrassed, she gets up to collect the empty plates and rush off to do the dishes, her face still burning red.

“No need dear. I can do that” came the rough old voice from just beyond her shoulder.

“He has a mighty appetite, he reminds me of my late husband Herbert. He always was a big eater. I remember making this exact same meal for him. Of course, I wouldn’t dare butcher the family pet for that man. He wasn’t worth the effort. Awful man. Not like your sweet brother here, who only wishes to feast and relax. Innocent in nature I believe.” 

Alex watched with morbid curiosity as the woman smiled warmly. It was strange to see a woman in her early eighty’s survive the horrific events that were thrust upon mankind. But as she sternly stated as they were met at the front door by her loaded shotgun and her blood stained overalls, She was a tough old bird.

“Granny Mae” as she likes to be called, gently drops the dishes in the sink and lets her bones settle as she sinks deep in her favorite recliner. An audible click and the gentle hum of springs being caught by a metal clasp penetrates the silence as she lets out the foot rest.

Alex takes a deep breath and tries to relax,  her nerves are shot and her heart is broken. She thinks of Trevor and the foolish thing he did. Loneliness and heartache diverts her gaze to the floor and her hands start to tremble. The dam was threatening to break and the waterworks would come flooding out any second.

Granny Mae watches her expressions and becomes solemn. In a sweet yet bold voice she tries to help in the only way she ever knew how.

“Don’t you dare cry now dear. I know that look, and I reckon I should give you the same advice my Ma gave me a long time ago. Don’t cry over men. They are nothing more than a cow pie in a field full of over fed cattle. Where there is one, there is bound to be more and with every step you make they will be there filling your life with crap.”

Alex couldn’t help but like this woman! A small giggle escaped her as she looked up at Granny Mae.

“Did she really say that Granny Mae?” she snickered

“Well no, what she said is unfitting of a woman your age.” 

Now a full rumble of laughter came from the mousey teen and she felt tears falling for a very different reason. After a very welcomed moment, the room falls silent once more. She looks over and sees Boomer snoring away. The poor guy needs his rest. She thinks to herself as she slides the throw pillow under his head.

“Granny Mae...can I ask you something?”

The old woman remained silent. Alex stared at the grooves between the wrinkles uncomfortably, waiting for her reply.

“I reckon you already did child” came a sharp retort.

“What is it?”

Alex shifted nervously, she  was rough around the edges, both as sharp as an axe and as gentle as cotton. A tough woman to read.

“Out with it!” She coldly stated.

“I-I want to know how you managed to survived out here all alone.” Alex stammered

“You mean how does an old fart like me make it when others didn’t?” She arches her eyebrows

“N-no that’s not what I meant I didn’t mean to call you...”

Granny Mae lifts her hand to silence her, a half snicker comes from her wrinkled lips.

“It’s quite alright dear.”

“I reckon I am too damn stubborn and mean to die. I survived three house fires, four divorces, was widowed twice, I made it through the fifties as a strong independent minded female, and I watched the world get brain washed by technology. Surviving a bunch of plants ain’t nothing.”

The chair squeaked as the foot rest was folded neatly into the recliner. Granny Mae sat upright and gave a wondrously bizarre grin. Alex watched with curiosity as the old lady scooted gracefully across the carpeted floor and lifts the shotgun to her arm.

“I haven’t shot this thing in ages. Been meaning too but ain’t had a reason till now”

A new twinkle filled her pupil, excitement that she hasn’t felt in ages radiates through the woman and her hands tremble slightly as she points the barrel at the door. She holds it steady and places her finger on the cold metal trigger, relishing the feel.

“I can tell you lost something back there child, something very dear to you.”

Alex tried to speak, but was cut off by a sharp edge to the woman’s voice.

“Now don’t you go thinking I’m a weak old lady now, I will be back. My Ma once told me that you ain’t got a lick of sense if you let a man save you. If you go through life letting people save you, you will never have the strength to save yourself. Now I don’t know if I agree with all that, because Ma was half a bubble out of plumb, but as crazy as that old biddy was I rejoice in her wisdom.”

Completely lost for words, Alex watched in astonishment as the door slammed shut. Her thoughts rattled around like a pebble in a tin can. She don’t who or what she’s looking for! She don’t know where Trevor is, she don’t know which direction to go or what she is up against. She is crazy!

A smile crosses her face and she feels her body slump against the comfort of the couch. Even though she can’t explain it and as insane as it is for an eighty year old woman to slowly venture out into the wild, Alex believed her. She will be back.