Chapter 2

Hazel's Perspective....

"Hi I'm Hazel and I'm the biggest loser Crown has ever had," I mumble, kicking pebbles on the sidewalk, letting the tears race down my puffy cheeks. As I approach my house, I attempt to dry my tears. "Hazel, how was your test resul--oh honey!" My mom asks yet cuts herself off. "215, Mom. Proud of me?" I run inside, slam my door, crawl into a fetal position and let my disappointment get the best of me. "Oh my gosh, sweetie! I'm so proud of you!" I hear cheering and laughter coming from my living room, I know its my sister Azalea.

"HAZ!!" Screams Azalea. I fake a smile, just to show her I'm proud. "How did you do?" She asks, worried. "Umm...I got a 215." Her face falls, and her expression changes. Just the way I expected. "Well, what did you get?" I ask, trying to change the intense subject.

She doesn't answer me. Wrapping her cold arms around me, she lets out a wimper. I know they will move on, she will be happy in a Gem District, with feasts for every meal, parties every night with important leaders and silk dresses every day. My family doesn't need another mouth to feed, and a loser to babysit, they can disown me just like all the other failing stone parents do.

"Girls!" My mom hollers from downstairs. We walk out of my room, and again I force a smile. "Here are your letters from the Crown about your test results." Examining them, I notice that Azalea's has a fancy Gem stamp in the top left corner, mine has a big grey stone.