Chapter 4

HAZELS POV

I have no more tears left to cry. My parents have been praising Azalea for hours. I may not be a Diamond but I'm not going to be known as a freaking failing Stone! I'm so not ready for tomorrow, but I need to pray for the best and be prepared for the worst. So I pray. "I'm not a Stone, I'm not a Stone," I say, louder and louder until it turns into a full scream. I grab my suit cases (we are only allowed to have 2 suitcases to last us 3 years) and as I pack I shove as much memories, clothes, pillows, blankets and food that I can. The resources in Stone District is super limited. When I turn 16, I can retake my test, so I grab study books, a Bible, and a note pad. Azalea appears once again in my room. "Hazel, you are a Stone, get over it! You are never going to be a Gem acting like a baby!" Shouts Azalea.

"You know, part of me hates you. Is that sad? My own twin treats me like dirt, and tries to lower my self esteem even more than it already is! I don't even know you anymore."

" Good, I've always been better than you!" With that, she grins, rolls her eyes and slams my door.

***

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

My heart just dropped to the floor. It's morning. I'm leaving.

I get dressed, brush my hair, teeth, put on some eyeliner, grabbed my suit cases and walked out my door to greet and say my good byes to my family. "One more hour, girls," Warns my dad. I see fear and happiness mixed in his eyes. I don't blame him. Both of his girls are leaving, one somewhere fabulous, the other to the slums. "Okay, Dad." I eat my breakfast and sit on the couch preparing myself for my whole life to change in a matter of 24 min. When the time comes, 2 Crown officials will knock on our door (1 Gem bus driver the other a Stone bus driver) Then we are forced to join our new family.

"We have something for you guys, but don't open them until you get to where you soon will live," Says my mom. They hand me 2 boxes, but Azalea only got one. "Put them in your suit cases. Hurry! We love you girls... no matter what."

" OPEN UP! Your time's up!" Hollers the Crown officials outside our door.

"Mom! Dad! NO!" Is all I can make out before they drag me out the door.