Chapter One

I first realized my life went to shit when I got involved with my feelings. I was so focused on school work, the swim team, my job, that I didn't need company, I didn't need love. But love is the very thing that dragged me down, my story isn't something that sappy, and made lovely than it was. I'm telling it exactly how it happened, no details beared, no feelings spared, because mine weren't once I met him...

It was the usual day, at after school swim practice for me. I did my usual strip down and checked my naked body in the mirror for my stretch marks or, as my mom calls them, perfection stripes. They were still there, as dark purple-brown and noticeable as usual, time to trash that lotion also. I slipped into my purple, one piece bathing suit, and along with the rest of the girls, made my way out to line up. Couch Puccio, a short lady, but that didn't stop her from being made of steel. With a heavy Russian accent, olive skin, dark brown eyes and short hair, she was built like an Olympic swimmer, and in the most attractive way possible. "We have a new swimmer."

Swimmers come and go on our team, it's a regular, but Puccio doesn't like to leave anyone unnoticed. But this guy hit every girl on the swim team like a truck, he was so beautiful there were even gasps when he was revealed. His dark, shiny skin seemed to make me think of a nice Hershey's bar, and his light brown eyes captured everything good on this earth. His face looked like it was constructed carefully by God himself so he can embody just how sexy a man on this Earth could be. His body was the next thing that caught my attention, so toned, abs, muscles. He crossed his muscular arms and seemed to not realize the stares he was getting, and I glanced down the line, he was receiving many. Being the pudgiest, most unattractive girl in there, I knew my chances were slim, not that I was going to go for him anyway.

"I'm Vaughan." His voice was deep, and just perfectly fit his tall, muscular build.

"Hi Vaaaaughan." Cheri dragged it out while flipping her hair.

We eventually started doing relay laps in two lines, boys against girls, I was at the end. I looked around to notice that Vaughan was behind me at one point, staring at his fingers, probably deciding which one to chew on next. "Claire go." Couch yelled at me, I threw myself in the water, I hated my last name, it was the first name of the first girl who told me I was too fat as a kid. My name is obnoxious, Zelda, I mostly go by Zel. Before I knew it, I was getting out of the water as Vaughan was getting in, even though being far ahead of his team, he finished his lap before I got back to my spot in the line. He got out and shook out his jet black, curly hair, the water beading off his skin was just icing on top of the cake.

After practice every girl in the locker room was talking about Vaughan, and "naughty" things they'd do to him. I just quietly got dressed and left out to my car. Vaughan was quick, the whole swim team loved him, and he came out with a crowd around him. His eyes met mine as I was unlocking my car, I looked away and quickly got in. I ignored the urge to make sure my coarse curls were and neat as I thought they were, but I just know they weren't. Driving home was great because traffic wasn't backed up. "Zelda, just in time." My mother hugged me. My whole family was born and raised in South Africa, but my dad wanted something better for my mom, so we moved all the way to the United States, California.

"In time for what?"

"Dinner." We both smiled, only my mother shared with me the love for pizza, and I could smell the pepperonis from outside. I dropped my swim bag and ran into the kitchen after her, inhaling my first slice. Vaughan weaved his way back into my mind, he was just so damn sexy.

Now I know what you may be thinking, "Vaughan turned her life to shit", well, you're only half right. I ruined my life also, all because of a party the next night. I know it sounds cliche, but it's not at all.