Chapter Four

My mom brought Vaughan into my room, bright and early in the morning. "Vaughan? What are you doing here?"

"Just hoping a pretty, little, brown girl can forgive me for my lips inviting themselves against hers." He sat down on my bed.

"Vaughan-"

"No, I know, uncalled for." He interrupted.

"No," I sighed, "I've just been through a deal in my past, and I was caught off guard."

"So would you rather it happen like this?" He tilted my chin up, "I'm gonna kiss you now, Zelda." His lips were open when they were lightly pressed against mine again. I loosely draped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. He pulled me into his lap and flicked his tongue against my teeth. I opened my mouth to allow entry and his tongue swirled with mine. I moaned, he lifted me and walked across my room to close the door, then sat back down, his lips never leaving mine. His pressed harder and I moaned against his lips against. He moaned in return, sending goosebumps to cover my skin. "Are you okay?" He breathed.

"Vaughan, stop talking." I kissed him again, so hard he began to lean back, "Wait, wait, I'm not ready."

"We can just keep kissing if you want." He halfway sat up.

"No, I didn't mean that." I looked at his lips, "But yeah." I continued to kiss him harshly and run my fingers through his hair. I felt something twitch and harden under me before he pushed me off and stood up. "Something wrong?" I asked.

"Just woke my male parts up." He said, not facing me, "You know, this doesn't happen much, you better be proud of yourself." He said, I laughed.

"So, no more kissing?"

He exhaled deeply and sat next to me, "Come here." He kissed my lips roughly, but slowly. I pulled him on top of me this time and smiled as he kissed down my neck and back up to my lips. "Oh Zelda Claire-"

"Zelda, come help-" My mom froze, so did Vaughan and I. "Nevermind." She shut the door quickly and I covered my face in embarrassment.

"Gosh, hold on." I got from under him and followed after my mom, "Mom, I'm sorry." I said.

"Don't apologize, I should to knock." She said, "So, you two dating now? I thought you were friends."

"It's weird, he kissed me at his office last night then again today it's all still so complicated, I'm confused. All I know is that I really like him." I sighed.

"Okay well, now keep the door at least cracked and freaking go for it, please." She said, "I'm tired of waiting, you need to get married and get out."

When the night came, is when everything took the right turn...

I woke up beside Vaughan, must've fallen asleep while watching the movie. I got up and turned another movie on. Vaughan was asleep, lips slightly parted. I slowly crept down the stairs and into the kitchen with chocolate cake on my mind. I cut a slice and snuck back up the stairs. Vaughan was rubbing his eyes when I entered. "You know, I don't usually fall asleep on anyone's bed." He said.

"Do you wake up annoying?"

"I wake up hungry." He took a bite out of my cake, I glared at him, "What? Gotta feed your guests too." He laughed, I smiled at him. "What?"

"What?"

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked.

"Did you forget what you looked like?" He smiled at me and kissed me again, "Or how good of a kisser you are?" He kissed me again, I heard the plate hit my nightstand as he set it down and wrapped his arms around me. "What were you going to say before my mom walked in?"

"Oh, right. Nothing," He looked down at him phone, "My mom is probably worried sick."

"Why?"

"I'm supposed to call her every night to check in so she knows I made it safely to my apartment." He sighed, "I'm gonna get going, it was nice spending the day with you."

Vaughan left right after that, there's no twist like we slept together or anything, the night was PG. I went to sleep after that, and it was nice. Vaughan made me feel like a different person, like there was hope for me. It's hard to find someone who will show interest in your heart before anything else, but when your heart is showing interest in that person's everything else your feelings get too tied in. I drowned in the thoughts of Vaughan, but Vaughan drowned in other things...

News was buzzing that Vaughan didn't show up to swim practice, as the two hours went by in the water, he never arrived. I sat in my car and called him, but there was no answer. "Hey Vaughan, I didn't see you in swim practice and that's new for you, I was just wondering what's going on. Um...just call me back when you get this message." I hung up and sighed, gripping my steering wheel. Was it me?

Little did I know, Vaughan's life outside of school had nothing to do with me, I'm surprised he even had time to think about me, now that I look back on it. Vaughan didn't seem as perfect as he was when I found out what happened next...

Vaughan: 1240 Abraham Rd

I cut my eyes to my phone to read, then turned my car around. He better have a good explanation for this. I arrived at the address and it was just an apartment building.

Me: Number?

Vaughan: 860

I knocked on the 860 door and waited. Vaughan opened his door and leaned against it, I gasped. His right eye was swollen, his bottom lip was cut, and he had a large, purple bruise near his rib cage. "You should see the other guy." He chuckled weakly, I pushed past him and shut the door.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, trying to hide the worry in my voice.

"Aw, you're so cute when you're worried."

"Vaughan!" I said sternly.

"I just got into an altercation-"

"Altercation." I scoffed, "With who?"

"Jace." I shivered at the name, "We were friends until I told him about you."

"What about me?"

"That I like you..." There was a moment of silence before he continued, "Anyway, Jace started taunting me and tell the guys about that night of the party like there weren't already there. I don't know what happened, but something inside me snapped, next thing I know my fist is against his face."

"Vaughan-"

"Don't tell me I can't go around punching people that say things I don't like because I already know that." He sighed, "I don't need a lecture."

"I'm not going to lecture you, but I am going to thank you."

"What?"

"18 years of life and no one's ever stuck up for me." I said, "So thank you, come here." I hugged him gently. "So, you like me?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"I guess, how long is all this gonna take to heal?"

"Probably a week." He sighed and sat down on his couch.

"Mind if I stay a little while?" I asked, setting my bag down.

"Um, not one bit."

"Vaughan?"

"Yeah?"

"I like you too." I smiled.